re: Help with fact pattern: Widow's Liability of property=

Yahoo Bot

Reply-To: David Shevitz
X-Original-Return-Path: David Shevitz
To: cdcbaa@yahoogroups.com
X-Yahoo-Newman-Id: groups-system
Thanks Shannon,
She has no intention to file bankruptcy and does not have an active case pending.
She does not have formal title to the property, although based on intestate succession, I think she likely is the rightful owner of the property.
The deed in lieu exchange would probably work fine for her, but she does not currently have the deed so I am guessing there would need to be some paperwork filed in the Texas county recorder's office for her to effectuate her title to the property first.
Sent from my iPhone
> On Sep 10, 2014, at 9:26 AM, "Shannon Doyle sdoyle@ebankruptcyassistants.com [cdcbaa]" wrote:
>
> Maybe the tax collector will take a deed in lieu. Or if this is a chapter 13 you can try to vest the property in the tax collector as part of confirmation.
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> Sent: Monday, September 08, 2014 6:49 PM
> To: cdcbaa@yahoogroups.com
> Subject: [cdcbaa] re: Help with fact pattern: Widow's Liability of property taxes in Texas
>
>
>
>
>
> Hi Listmates,
>
>
>
> I am hoping to get some help with a fact pattern for a good friend's mom of mine who I will refer to as potential client ("PC").
>
>
>
> PC's now deceased husband purchased an empty lot in Texas during the course of their marraige without informing PC.
>
>
>
> PC's husband passed away without a will and during the division of the estate (possibly probate) the empty lot in Texas was not discovered.
>
>
>
> Over a decade after the death of PC's husband, PC gets collection calls from the County Tax Collector in Texas indicating that PC owes taxes for this empty lot.
>
>
>
> The empty lot is worth slightly more than the tax liability. At this point PC would prefer to disavow (if possible) or surrender to the state of Texas (if possible), any interest she may have in the lot in exchange for any liability she may have on the back property taxes.
>
>
>
> Bottom line for her is she wants these collection calls to cease and wants nothing to do with the obligation on this property. She wants to avoid marketing and selling any interest in this property.
>
>
>
> Any advice? These collection calls have brought up many emotional issues which PC thought were behind her and she just wants to resolve this in the fastest, and most efficient way possible.
>
>
>
> Thanks so much!
>
>
>
> - David
>
>
>
> David S. Shevitz, Esq.