SBA Loan Default Tax Refund Offset

Yahoo Bot

Jeff:
The problem is most judges would annul the stay when actions of the creditor have been taken in violation of the stay, as a result of the debtor's improper notice.
postpetition has no hyphen :-)
Dennis McGoldrick, 350 S. Crenshaw Bl., #A207B, Torrance, Ca 90503 310-328-1001-voice
> On Feb 24, 2015, at 11:20 AM, jsmith@cgsattys.com [cdcbaa] wrote:
>
> I have a Chapter 7 Debtor who defaulted a long time ago on an SBA loan. We listed the lender but not the SBA on the schedules. Apparently, unknown to us, the SBA paid the bank some time ago and the SBA (U.S. Treasury-Bureau of Ficsal Services) paid the guarantee, and got assignment of the debt.
>
>
>
> Also listed in our shdeules and exempted via the wild-card is a $6000 tax refund due from the IRS to my client.
>
>
>
> Today the client recieved a letter from the Treasury "thanking him" (sarcasm) for the $6000 (post-petition) offset of that refund, to repay the defaulted SBA loan.
>
>
>
> Before I write to the SBA/Department of Treasury/Fiscal Services Bureau and tell them that they violated the stay by performing a post-petition offset, albeit inadvertently, and demand return of the refund, is there anyone who thinks that the SBA gets some sort of special treatment on this one? I find nothing in 362 or anywhere else, but you never know it there is some obscure exception for intra-goernment offsets that I don't know about.
>
>
>
> Thanks
>
>
>
> Jeffrey B. Smith
>
>

The post was migrated from Yahoo.
Yahoo Bot

Shephardizing this case should lead you to the right place:

Yahoo Bot

A SBA loans can be discharged in bankruptcy. However, if the Chapter 7 Debtor pledged any assets (personal or business) as collateral for the SBA loan, which is common, bankruptcy will not eliminate the lenders security interest in that property and you will have an ongoing problem to be dealt with.
Desiree Causey, Esq.
Law Office of Desiree Causey
7755 Center Avenue, Suite 1100
Huntington Beach, CA 92647
714-372-2225 (phone)
714-908-7646 (same fax number)
Privileged And Confidential Communication.
This electronic transmission, and any documents attached hereto, (a) are protected by the Electronic Communications Privacy Act (18 USC 2510-2521), (b) may contain confidential and/or legally privileged information, and (c) are for the sole use of the intended recipient named above. If you have received this electronic message in error, please notify the sender and delete the electronic message. Any disclosure, copying, distribution, or use of the contents of the information received in error is strictly prohibited.
Please consider the environment before printing this e-mail.

Yahoo Bot

Yahoo Bot