violation of discharge injunction

Yahoo Bot

I go a slightly different route (since I like to push the envelope). I
believe Beezley says that debts of creditors who did not receive notice in
a no asset case are discharged whether they were scheduled or not. The
exception being if the debt was not dischargeable*.
Your situation is different. You don't care if it was discharged or not,
that only goes to post petition liability for the claims. Your position is
(or I think should be) that 1. these guys were aware of the bankruptcy; 2.
they were aware of the discharge and consequently discharge injunction; 3.
they knowingly violated the court's order and they should be punished under
105(a). At least for attorneys' fees and maybe some punitive.
I personally wouldn't mix in 362 because that just clouds the issue. In
particular where it's unclear whether the stay applies.
Standard Disclaimer: I have 2 years and 15 days experience as an attorney
and I made this up on a whim so please do some independent research. I've
also never done any of the above or seen anyone do it.
*Note: I don't know the difference between nondischargeable and
non-dischargeable so I used not dischargeable :)
Sincerely,
Michael Avanesian
On Mon, Dec 16, 2013 at 10:05 PM, Jason Wallach wrote:
>
>
> David is entirely right. Beezley is the case. In any event, you
> scheduled the creditor who received the notice that both the principal and
> the surety filed bankruptcy and were discharged. I would warn the creditor
> and counsel that they have violated the stay and proceed to reopen and seek
> osc re contempt. This isn't a close call, at least not once you warn them.
> Their position is just defensive scrambling; although an illiterate
> self-represented non-lawyer might claim that they were confused because the
> suretyship obligation to pay the scheduled judgment was not separately
> scheduled, so the contempt wasn't willful.
> Do you have grounds to avoid the judicial lien? You could add that to the
> reopening.
> My four cents.
> Jason
>
> Jason Wallach
> Gladstone Michel Weisberg Willner & Sloane, ALC
> 4551 Glencoe Avenue, Suite 300
> Marina del Rey CA 90292
> (310) 821-9000
> www.gladstonemichel.com
> jwallach@gladstonemichel.com
>
>
>
> On Dec 16, 2013, at 8:43 PM, David Jacob wrote:
>
>
>
> I am going to quote something from a ust opinion brief it might help, some
> of the more experienced in the group can correct me on it: no asset report
> is the key
>
> " In other words, reopening a closed no-asset case to add a
> creditor has no effect on whether the omitted debt is discharged. See
> Beezley v. California Land Title Co. (In re Beezley), 994 F.2d 1433, 1434
> (9th Cir. 1993) (per curiam); American Standard Ins. Co. v. Bakehorn, 147
> B.R. 480, 483-84 (N.D. Ind. 1992).
>
> In general, the debtor's only articulated reason for seeking to
> reopen the case is to add inadvertently omitted creditors, and she often
> files the motion to reopen "in the mistaken belief that adding the creditor
> to the schedules is necessary for the debt to be discharged." Lawrence P.
> King, 3 Collier on Bankruptcy 350.03[2], at 350-6 (15th ed. rev. 1999); In
> re Harmon, 213 B.R. 805, 807 (Bankr. D.Md. 1997). However, in a no-asset
> Chapter 7 case, in which creditors will not receive any distribution from
> the estate, "there would be no purpose served by reopening a case to add an
> omitted creditor to the bankrupt's schedules." Judd, 78 F.3d at 115.
> Indeed, reopening under these circumstances "is for all practical purposes
> a useless gesture." Madaj, 149 F.3d at 468 (quoting in re Hunter, 116 B.R.
> 3, 5 (Bankr. D.D.C. 1990))."
>
> This message is from an attorney and may contain information that is
> privileged and/or confidential, including, without limitation,
> attorney-client privileged communication(s) and/or confidential attorney
> work product. Unless you are the addressee or authorized to receive
> messages for the addressee, you may not use, copy,or disclose this message
> or any information contained herein. If you havereceived this message in
> error, please advise the sender by reply e-mail and delete any version,
> response, or reference to it. Thank you.
>
> On Dec 16, 2013, at 8:20 PM, Bert Briones wrote:
>
>
>
> Chapter 7 Debtors filed case, under Chapter 7, in January 2012. Has a
> Judgment lien from state court action commenced October 2006. In November
> 2011 Joint Debtor signed as a Surety so that the debtors could pursue an
> appeal which they lost. Creditor, creditors counsel, the Clerk of Court,
> and the state court Judge are all given notice of bankruptcy case. The debt
> is scheduled in Sch. D because an Abstract has been filed. Debtors
> received a Discharge in May 2012. Creditor never filed for relief from
> Stay. The notice of Stay and Notice of Discharge are recorded in the state
> court docket
>
> Following the Discharge the creditor has filed a number of Motions in the
> state court action. Now creditor is seeking a Motion for Judgment against
> "Principal and Sureties" filed in October 2013.
>
> Creditor claims that the surety bond obligation was not discharged since
> it was not separately scheduled (not known to debtors counsel at the time).
> However, I am thinking that the Judgment was the debt and the surety
> obligation may not need to be separately scheduled. IF it was a separate
> debt then can it not be amended following a successful Motion to Reopen
> case?
> Does any one have a citation for the case which holds that non-scheduled
> debt may be nonetheless be discharged? I know I saw a case like that
> sometime back!
>
> Do not the actions of the creditor violate the Discharge Injunction?
>
> Chances of reopening case to 1. File AP for violations of the Injunctions
> 2. Amend Schedules if necessary
>
> Any input is appreciated!!!
>
>
>
>
>
I go a slightly different route (since I like to push the envelope). I believe Beezley says that debts of creditors who did not receive notice in a no asset case are discharged whether they were scheduled or not. The exception being if the debt was not dischargeable*.
Your situation is different. You don't care if it was discharged or not, that only goes to post petition liability for the claims. Your position is (or I think should be) that 1. these guys were aware of the bankruptcy; 2. they were aware of the discharge and consequently discharge injunction; 3. they knowingly violated the court's order and they should be punished under 105(a). At least for attorneys' fees and maybe some punitive.
I personally wouldn't mix in 362 because that just clouds the issue. In particular where it's unclear whether the stay applies.Standard Disclaimer: I have 2 years and 15 days experience as an attorney and I made this up on a whim so please do some independent research. I've also never done any of the above or seen anyone do it.
*Note: I don't know the difference between nondischargeable and non-dischargeable so I used not dischargeable :)Sincerely,
Michael AvanesianOn Mon, Dec 16, 2013 at 10:05 PM, Jason Wallach <jwallach@gladstonemichel.com> wrote:
David is entirely right. Beezley is the case. In any event, you scheduled the creditor who received the notice that both the principal and the surety filed bankruptcy and were discharged. I would warn the creditor and counsel that they have violated the stay and proceed to reopen and seek osc re contempt. This isn't a close call, at least not once you warn them. Their position is just defensive scrambling; although an illiterate self-represented non-lawyer might claim that they were confused because the suretyship obligation to pay the scheduled judgment was not separately scheduled, so the contempt wasn't willful.
Do you have grounds to avoid the judicial lien? You could add that to the reopening.My four cents.Jason

The post was migrated from Yahoo.
Yahoo Bot

charsetndows-1252
David is entirely right. Beezley is the case. In any event, you scheduled the creditor who received the notice that both the principal and the surety filed bankruptcy and were discharged. I would warn the creditor and counsel that they have violated the stay and proceed to reopen and seek osc re contempt. This isn't a close call, at least not once you warn them. Their position is just defensive scrambling; although an illiterate self-represented non-lawyer might claim that they were confused because the suretyship obligation to pay the scheduled judgment was not separately scheduled, so the contempt wasn't willful.
Do you have grounds to avoid the judicial lien? You could add that to the reopening.
My four cents.
Jason
Jason Wallach
Gladstone Michel Weisberg Willner & Sloane, ALC
4551 Glencoe Avenue, Suite 300
Marina del Rey CA 90292
(310) 821-9000
www.gladstonemichel.com
jwallach@gladstonemichel.com
On Dec 16, 2013, at 8:43 PM, David Jacob wrote:
I am going to quote something from a ust opinion brief it might help, some of the more experienced in the group can correct me on it: no asset report is the key
" In other words, reopening a closed no-asset case to add a creditor has no effect on whether the omitted debt is discharged. See Beezley v. California Land Title Co. (In re Beezley), 994 F.2d 1433, 1434 (9th Cir. 1993) (per curiam); American Standard Ins. Co. v. Bakehorn, 147 B.R. 480, 483-84 (N.D. Ind. 1992).
In general, the debtor's only articulated reason for seeking to reopen the case is to add inadvertently omitted creditors, and she often files the motion to reopen "in the mistaken belief that adding the creditor to the schedules is necessary for the debt to be discharged." Lawrence P. King, 3 Collier on Bankruptcy 350.03[2], at 350-6 (15th ed. rev. 1999); In re Harmon, 213 B.R. 805, 807 (Bankr. D.Md. 1997). However, in a no-asset Chapter 7 case, in which creditors will not receive any distribution from the estate, "there would be no purpose served by reopening a case to add an omitted creditor to the bankrupt's schedules." Judd, 78 F.3d at 115. Indeed, reopening under these circumstances "is for all practical purposes a useless gesture." Madaj, 149 F.3d at 468 (quoting in re Hunter, 116 B.R. 3, 5 (Bankr. D.D.C. 1990))."
This message is from an attorney and may contain information that is privileged and/or confidential, including, without limitation, attorney-client privileged communication(s) and/or confidential attorney work product. Unless you are the addressee or authorized to receive messages for the addressee, you may not use, copy,or disclose this message or any information contained herein. If you havereceived this message in error, please advise the sender by reply e-mail and delete any version, response, or reference to it. Thank you.
On Dec 16, 2013, at 8:20 PM, Bert Briones wrote:
>
>
> Chapter 7 Debtors filed case, under Chapter 7, in January 2012. Has a Judgment lien from state court action commenced October 2006. In November 2011 Joint Debtor signed as a Surety so that the debtors could pursue an appeal which they lost. Creditor, creditors counsel, the Clerk of Court, and the state court Judge are all given notice of bankruptcy case. The debt is scheduled in Sch. D because an Abstract has been filed. Debtors received a Discharge in May 2012. Creditor never filed for relief from Stay. The notice of Stay and Notice of Discharge are recorded in the state court docket
>
> Following the Discharge the creditor has filed a number of Motions in the state court action. Now creditor is seeking a Motion for Judgment against "Principal and Sureties" filed in October 2013.
>
> Creditor claims that the surety bond obligation was not discharged since it was not separately scheduled (not known to debtors counsel at the time). However, I am thinking that the Judgment was the debt and the surety obligation may not need to be separately scheduled. IF it was a separate debt then can it not be amended following a successful Motion to Reopen case?
> Does any one have a citation for the case which holds that non-scheduled debt may be nonetheless be discharged? I know I saw a case like that sometime back!
>
>
> Chances of reopening case to 1. File AP for violations of the Injunctions 2. Amend Schedules if necessary
>
>
charsetndows-1252
David is entirely right. Beezley is the case. In any event, you scheduled the creditor who received the notice that both the principal and the surety filed bankruptcy and were discharged. I would warn the creditor and counsel that they have violated the stay and proceed to reopen and seek osc re contempt. This isn't a close call, at least not once you warn them. Their position is just defensive scrambling; although an illiterate self-represented non-lawyer might claim that they were confused because the suretyship obligation to pay the scheduled judgment was not separately scheduled, so the contempt wasn't willful. Do you have grounds to avoid the judicial lien? You could add that to the reopening.My four cents.Jason
Jason WallachGladstone Michel Weisberg Willner & Sloane, ALC4551 Glencoe Avenue, Suite 300Marina del Rey CA 90292(310) 821-9000www.gladstonemichel.com
On Dec 16, 2013, at 8:43 PM, David Jacob wrote:

I am going to quote something from a ust opinion brief it might help, some of the more experienced in the group can correct me on it: no asset report is the key " In other words, reopening a closed no-asset case to add a creditor has no effect on whether the omitted debt is discharged. See Beezley v. California Land Title Co. (In re Beezley), 994 F.2d 1433, 1434 (9th Cir. 1993) (per curiam); American Standard Ins. Co. v. Bakehorn, 147 B.R. 480, 483-84 (N.D. Ind. 1992). In general, the debtor's only articulated reason for seeking to reopen the case is to add inadvertently omitted creditors, and she often files the motion to reopen "in the mistaken belief that adding the creditor to the schedules is necessary for the debt to be discharged." Lawrence P. King, 3 Collier on Bankruptcy 350.03[2], at 350-6 (15th ed. rev. 1999); In re Harmon, 213 B.R. 805, 807 (Bankr. D.Md. 1997). However, in a no-asset Chapter 7 case, in which creditors will not receive any distribution from the estate, "there would be no purpose served by reopening a case to add an omitted creditor to the bankrupt's schedules." Judd, 78 F.3d at 115. Indeed, reopening under these circumstances "is for all practical purposes a useless gesture." Madaj, 149 F.3d at 468 (quoting in re Hunter, 116 B.R. 3, 5 (Bankr. D.D.C. 1990))."This message is from an attorney and may contain information that is privileged and/or confidential, including, without limitation, attorney-client privileged communication(s) and/or confidential attorney work product. Unless you are the addressee or authorized to receive messages for the addressee, you may not use, copy,or disclose this message or any information contained herein. If you havereceived this message in error, please advise the sender by reply e-mail and delete any version, response, or reference to it. Thank you.On Dec 16, 2013, at 8:20 PM, Bert Briones <

Yahoo Bot

I am going to quote something from a ust opinion brief it might help, some of the more experienced in the group can correct me on it: no asset report is the key
" In other words, reopening a closed no-asset case to add a creditor has no effect on whether the omitted debt is discharged. See Beezley v. California Land Title Co. (In re Beezley), 994 F.2d 1433, 1434 (9th Cir. 1993) (per curiam); American Standard Ins. Co. v. Bakehorn, 147 B.R. 480, 483-84 (N.D. Ind. 1992).
In general, the debtor's only articulated reason for seeking to reopen the case is to add inadvertently omitted creditors, and she often files the motion to reopen "in the mistaken belief that adding the creditor to the schedules is necessary for the debt to be discharged." Lawrence P. King, 3 Collier on Bankruptcy 350.03[2], at 350-6 (15th ed. rev. 1999); In re Harmon, 213 B.R. 805, 807 (Bankr. D.Md. 1997). However, in a no-asset Chapter 7 case, in which creditors will not receive any distribution from the estate, "there would be no purpose served by reopening a case to add an omitted creditor to the bankrupt's schedules." Judd, 78 F.3d at 115. Indeed, reopening under these circumstances "is for all practical purposes a useless gesture." Madaj, 149 F.3d at 468 (quoting in re Hunter, 116 B.R. 3, 5 (Bankr. D.D.C. 1990))."
This message is from an attorney and may contain information that is privileged and/or confidential, including, without limitation, attorney-client privileged communication(s) and/or confidential attorney work product. Unless you are the addressee or authorized to receive messages for the addressee, you may not use, copy,or disclose this message or any information contained herein. If you havereceived this message in error, please advise the sender by reply e-mail and delete any version, response, or reference to it. Thank you.
> On Dec 16, 2013, at 8:20 PM, Bert Briones wrote:
>
> Chapter 7 Debtors filed case, under Chapter 7, in January 2012. Has a Judgment lien from state court action commenced October 2006. In November 2011 Joint Debtor signed as a Surety so that the debtors could pursue an appeal which they lost. Creditor, creditors counsel, the Clerk of Court, and the state court Judge are all given notice of bankruptcy case. The debt is scheduled in Sch. D because an Abstract has been filed. Debtors received a Discharge in May 2012. Creditor never filed for relief from Stay. The notice of Stay and Notice of Discharge are recorded in the state court docket
>
> Following the Discharge the creditor has filed a number of Motions in the state court action. Now creditor is seeking a Motion for Judgment against "Principal and Sureties" filed in October 2013.
>
> Creditor claims that the surety bond obligation was not discharged since it was not separately scheduled (not known to debtors counsel at the time). However, I am thinking that the Judgment was the debt and the surety obligation may not need to be separately scheduled. IF it was a separate debt then can it not be amended following a successful Motion to Reopen case?
> Does any one have a citation for the case which holds that non-scheduled debt may be nonetheless be discharged? I know I saw a case like that sometime back!
>
>
> Chances of reopening case to 1. File AP for violations of the Injunctions 2. Amend Schedules if necessary
>
>
I am going to quote something from a ust opinion brief it might help, some of the more experienced in the group can correct me on it: no asset report is the key " In other words, reopening a closed no-asset case to add a creditor has no effect on whether the omitted debt is discharged. See Beezley v. California Land Title Co. (In re Beezley), 994 F.2d 1433, 1434 (9th Cir. 1993) (per curiam); American Standard Ins. Co. v. Bakehorn, 147 B.R. 480, 483-84 (N.D. Ind. 1992). In general, the debtor's only articulated reason for seeking to reopen the case is to add inadvertently omitted creditors, and she often files the motion to reopen "in the mistaken belief that adding the creditor to the schedules is necessary for the debt to be discharged." Lawrence P. King, 3 Collier on Bankruptcy 350.03[2], at 350-6 (15th ed. rev. 1999); In re Harmon, 213 B.R. 805, 807 (Bankr. D.Md. 1997). However, in a no-asset Chapter 7 case, in which creditors will not receive any distribution from the estate, "there would be no purpose served by reopening a case to add an omitted creditor to the bankrupt's schedules." Judd, 78 F.3d at 115. Indeed, reopening under these circumstances "is for all practical purposes a useless gesture." Madaj, 149 F.3d at 468 (quoting in re Hunter, 116 B.R. 3, 5 (Bankr. D.D.C. 1990))."This message is from an attorney and may contain information that is privileged and/or confidential, including, without limitation, attorney-client privileged communication(s) and/or confidential attorney work product. Unless you are the addressee or authorized to receive messages for the addressee, you may not use, copy,or disclose this message or any information contained herein. If you havereceived this message in error, please advise the sender by reply e-mail and delete any version, response, or reference to it. Thank you.On Dec 16, 2013, at 8:20 PM, Bert Briones <bertbri@ymail.com> wrote:

Yahoo Bot

Chapter 7 Debtors filed case, under Chapter 7, in January 2012.Has a Judgment lien from state court action commenced October 2006. In November 2011 Joint Debtor signed as aSurety so that the debtors could pursue an appeal which they lost. Creditor, creditors counsel, the Clerk of Court, and the state court Judge are all given notice of bankruptcy case. The debt is scheduledin Sch. D because an Abstract has been filed. Debtors received a Discharge in May 2012. Creditor never filed for relief from Stay. The notice of Stay and Notice of Discharge are recorded in the state court docket
Following the Discharge the creditor has filed a number of Motions in the state court action. Now creditor is seeking a Motion for Judgment against "Principal and Sureties" filed in October 2013.
Creditor claims that the surety bond obligation was not discharged
since it was not separately scheduled (not known to debtors counsel at the
time). However, I am thinking that the Judgment was the debt and the surety
obligation may not need to be separately scheduled. IF it was a separate debt
then can it not be amended following a successful Motion to Reopen case?
Does any one have a citation for the case which holds that non-scheduled debt may be nonetheless be discharged? I know I saw a case like that sometime back!
Do not the actions of the creditor violate the Discharge Injunction?
Chances of reopening case to 1. File AP for violations of the InjunctionsAny input is appreciated!!!

Yahoo Bot

can sue, cannot collect from cp.
Sent: Wednesday, October 10, 2012 4:40 PM
Subject: [cdcbaa] Violation of Discharge injunction
Facts:
Debtor is married by files an individual bk because wife is in a coma. He receives a discharge. Wife recovers from coma and creditor sues wife for a debt in her name only but acquired during marriage. Debtor and wife are still married. Is creditor allowed to go forward with lawsuit even if enforcement of a judgment would result in a violation of husband's discharge injunction?
Thanks,
Nancy B. Clark
Borowitz & Clark, LLP

Yahoo Bot

Just reread the original query; I had my defendants confused and thought
the action was commenced against the filer. Thanks for the clarification.
On Oct 10, 2012 6:07 PM, "Mark Jessee" wrote:
> **
>
>
> Suit Not against the husband. So not attempt to collect from discharged
> husband. Creditor has every right to sue the spouse not filing a bk. her
> separate property can be attached. Judgment Creditor can wait and hope for
> divorce or hubby's death and then everything of wife's is open to
> collection efforts.
>
>
> Mark Jessee
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On Oct 10, 2012, at 5:52 PM, Jay Fleischman wrote:
>
>
>
> But isn't institution of a lawsuit considered an attempt to collect a debt?
> On Oct 10, 2012 5:50 PM, "Mark Jessee" wrote:
>
>> **
>>
>>
>> Yes creditor can sue nonfiling spouse for debt nonfilling spouse's
>> debts. Just cannot collect from the community property while married.
>> Sounds like hubby should have filed for wife as here next friend when he
>> filed....
>>
>> Sent from my iPhone
>>
>> On Oct 10, 2012, at 4:40 PM, "nancybonaccorso" wrote:
>>
>>
>>
>> Facts:
>> Debtor is married by files an individual bk because wife is in a coma. He
>> receives a discharge. Wife recovers from coma and creditor sues wife for a
>> debt in her name only but acquired during marriage. Debtor and wife are
>> still married. Is creditor allowed to go forward with lawsuit even if
>> enforcement of a judgment would result in a violation of husband's
>> discharge injunction?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Nancy B. Clark
>> Borowitz & Clark, LLP
>>
>>
>
Just reread the original query; I had my defendants confused and thought the action was commenced against the filer. Thanks for the clarification.
On Oct 10, 2012 6:07 PM, "Mark Jessee" <jesseelaw@aol.com> wrote:
Suit Not against the husband. So not attempt to collect from discharged husband. Creditor has every right to sue the spouse not filing a bk. her separate property can be attached. Judgment Creditor can wait and hope for divorce or hubby's death and then everything of wife's is open to collection efforts.
Mark JesseeSent from my iPhoneOn Oct 10, 2012, at 5:52 PM, Jay Fleischman <bankruptcy@gmail.com> wrote:
But isn't institution of a lawsuit considered an attempt to collect a debt?
On Oct 10, 2012 5:50 PM, "Mark Jessee" <jesseelaw@aol.com> wrote:
Yes creditor can sue nonfiling spouse for debt nonfilling spouse's debts. Just cannot collect from the community property while married. Sounds like hubby should have filed for wife as here next friend when he filed....
Sent from my iPhoneOn Oct 10, 2012, at 4:40 PM, "nancybonaccorso" <nclark@blclaw.com> wrote:
Facts:
Debtor is married by files an individual bk because wife is in a coma. He receives a discharge. Wife recovers from coma and creditor sues wife for a debt in her name only but acquired during marriage. Debtor and wife are still married. Is creditor allowed to go forward with lawsuit even if enforcement of a judgment would result in a violation of husband's discharge injunction?
Thanks,
Nancy B. Clark
Borowitz & Clark, LLP

Yahoo Bot

Suit Not against the husband. So not attempt to collect from discharged husband. Creditor has every right to sue the spouse not filing a bk. her separate property can be attached. Judgment Creditor can wait and hope for divorce or hubby's death and then everything of wife's is open to collection efforts.
Mark Jessee
Sent from my iPhone
On Oct 10, 2012, at 5:52 PM, Jay Fleischman wrote:
> But isn't institution of a lawsuit considered an attempt to collect a debt?
>
> On Oct 10, 2012 5:50 PM, "Mark Jessee" wrote:
>>
>> Yes creditor can sue nonfiling spouse for debt nonfilling spouse's debts. Just cannot collect from the community property while married. Sounds like hubby should have filed for wife as here next friend when he filed....
>>
>> Sent from my iPhone
>>
>> On Oct 10, 2012, at 4:40 PM, "nancybonaccorso" wrote:
>>
>>>
>>> Facts:
>>> Debtor is married by files an individual bk because wife is in a coma. He receives a discharge. Wife recovers from coma and creditor sues wife for a debt in her name only but acquired during marriage. Debtor and wife are still married. Is creditor allowed to go forward with lawsuit even if enforcement of a judgment would result in a violation of husband's discharge injunction?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Nancy B. Clark
>>> Borowitz & Clark, LLP
>
>

Yahoo Bot

524(a)(2) applies to debtor only. 524(a)(3) doesn't automatically apply
because creditor could collect from wife's separate property. As pointed
out, an attempt to enforce the jmt against the community property would
violate 524(a)(3).
Has SOL run on creditor's cause of action? How much is at issue?
If you have any questions or concerns, please contact me.
Pat
Patrick T. Green
Attorney at Law
Fitzgerald & Green
1010 E. Union St. Ste. 206
Pasadena, CA 91106
Tel: 626-449-8433
Fax: 626-449-0565
pat@fitzgreenlaw.com

Yahoo Bot

On Oct 10, 2012 5:50 PM, "Mark Jessee" wrote:
> **
>
>
> Yes creditor can sue nonfiling spouse for debt nonfilling spouse's debts.
> Just cannot collect from the community property while married. Sounds
> like hubby should have filed for wife as here next friend when he filed....
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On Oct 10, 2012, at 4:40 PM, "nancybonaccorso" wrote:
>
>
>
> Facts:
> Debtor is married by files an individual bk because wife is in a coma. He
> receives a discharge. Wife recovers from coma and creditor sues wife for a
> debt in her name only but acquired during marriage. Debtor and wife are
> still married. Is creditor allowed to go forward with lawsuit even if
> enforcement of a judgment would result in a violation of husband's
> discharge injunction?
>
> Thanks,
> Nancy B. Clark
> Borowitz & Clark, LLP
>
>
>
On Oct 10, 2012 5:50 PM, "Mark Jessee" <jesseelaw@aol.com> wrote:
Yes creditor can sue nonfiling spouse for debt nonfilling spouse's debts. Just cannot collect from the community property while married. Sounds like hubby should have filed for wife as here next friend when he filed....
Sent from my iPhoneOn Oct 10, 2012, at 4:40 PM, "nancybonaccorso" <nclark@blclaw.com> wrote:
Facts:
Thanks,
Nancy B. Clark
Borowitz & Clark, LLP

Yahoo Bot

Sent from my iPhone
On Oct 10, 2012, at 4:40 PM, "nancybonaccorso" wrote:
> Facts:
> Debtor is married by files an individual bk because wife is in a coma. He receives a discharge. Wife recovers from coma and creditor sues wife for a debt in her name only but acquired during marriage. Debtor and wife are still married. Is creditor allowed to go forward with lawsuit even if enforcement of a judgment would result in a violation of husband's discharge injunction?
>
> Thanks,
> Nancy B. Clark
> Borowitz & Clark, LLP
>
>