Bass & Associates 2 Year Update

Yahoo Bot

My name did not come out on the e-mail when I replied on the groups.yahoo.com
website. So I am sending it again.
The Bass and Associates letter now has an option for the debtor's attorney to
set a time and date to pick up the "collateral"
I am tempted or is the trash still the best option?
My debtor would be willing to pay on the $1700 debt if the financing terms are
the same pre bankruptcy.
I have read the previous list serve advice from 2009 & I am wondering if itstill applies 2 years later.
Thanks,
David Jacob
This e-mail is from an Attorney and may contain informationthat is privileged
and/or confidential, including, without limitation,attorney-client privileged
communication(s) and/or confidential attorney workproduct. If you are not the
intended recipient, any dissemination, distributionor copying is strictly
prohibited. If you believe that you have received thise-mail message in error,
please e-mail the sender and delete all copies.This message contains information
which may be confidential and privileged.Unless you are the addressee (or
authorized to receive for the addressee), youmay not use, copy or disclose the
message or any information contained in themessage. If you have received the
message in error, please advise the sender byreply e-mail and delete any
version, response or reference to it. Thank you.
Sent: Tue, April 5, 2011 1:01:26 PM
Subject: [cdcbaa] Re: Bass & Associates 2 Year Update
The Bass and Associates letter now has an option for the debtor's attorney to
set a time and date to pick up the "collateral"
My debtor would be willing to pay on the $1700 debt if the financing terms are
the same pre bankruptcy.
I have read the previous list serve advice from 2009 & I am wondering if itstill applies 2 years later.
Thanks,
David Jacob
>
> Liens survive bankruptcy. When debtors buy items at Best Buy, and many other
>stores, using the financing provided by the store, there is a purchase money
>lien given to the financing company as part of the transaction.
>
> Bass & Associates are trying to get unsophisticated debtors, who do not
>understand these kinds of things are not repossessed, to pay for the items>purchased after the bankruptcy.
>
> As Jim and I have said, these letters go into the circular file.
>
> dennis
>
> --- On Fri, 10/2/09, Jacob Chang wrote:
>
>
> Subject: Re: [cdcbaa] Bass & Associates
> To: cdcbaa@yahoogroups.com
> Date: Friday, October 2, 2009, 4:53 PM
>
>
>
>
>
>
> What specifically are you referring to? Can you be more specific?
>
> Jacob D. Chang, Esq.
> Law Offices of Jacob D. Chang
> 1600 Wilshire Boulevard, Third Floor
> Los Angeles, CA 90017
> Tel: (213) 252-4440
> Fax: (213) 738-1116
> Email: jacobchang.esq@ gmail.com
>
> Please kindly consider the environment before printing this e-mail.
>
> Note: This electronic mail is intended to be received and read only by certain
>individuals. It may contain information that is attorney-client privileged or
>protected from disclosure by law. If it has been misdirected, or if you suspect
>you have received this in error, please notify me by replying and then delete
>both the message and reply. Thank you.
>
>
> full version of what I meant to say was:
My advice is to ignore the letter from American General, just as I advise
ignoring the letters from Bass & Associates sent on behalf of Best Buy. In my
years of bankruptcy practice, I have never known of a creditor claiming a
security interest in household goods to seek recovery of the "collateral" after
the bankruptcy discharge. If anyone has experience to the contrary, pleaseshare.
As I explain to clients, the creditor would need to file suit for claim anddelivery, obtain a judgment, obtain a Writ of Possession, and instruct (and pay)
the Sheriff to levy the Writ and obtain possession of the goods. It's just not
going to happen. Automobiles and boats are the exception since they can be more
easily repossessed, and that leads to our oft-repeated discussion on this
list-serve about which creditors are repossessing non-reaffirmed automobiles
post-discharge (the consensus is still only Ford & Chrysler, I believe).
These letters are being sent to try to shake money out of uninformed pro-per
debtors.
Jim
James R. Selth
Weintraub & Selth, APC
12121 Wilshire Boulevard, Suite 1300
Los Angeles, California 90025
Telephone: (310) 207-1494
Facsimile: (310) 442-0660
E-Mail: jim@...
>
> On Thu, Oct 1, 2009 at 8:21 PM, Angeleno wrote:
>
>
>
>
>
>
> Wondering how others handle Bass & Associates letter claiming "purchase money
>security interest in consumer goods"
>
My name did not come out on the e-mail when I replied on the groups.yahoo.com website. So I am sending it again.

The Bass and Associates letter now has an option for the debtor's attorney to set a time and date to pick up the "collateral" I am tempted or is the trash still the best option? My debtor would be willing to pay on the $1700 debt if the financing terms are the same pre bankruptcy. I have read the previous list serve advice from 2009 & I am wondering if it still applies 2 years later. Thanks, David Jacob
This e-mail is from an Attorney and may contain information that is privileged and/or confidential, including, without limitation, attorney-client privileged communication(s) and/or confidential attorney work product. If you are not the intended recipient, any dissemination, distribution or copying is strictly prohibited. If you believe that you have received this e-mail message in error, please e-mail the sender and delete all copies.This message contains information which may be confidential and privileged. Unless you are the addressee (or authorized to receive for the addressee), you may not use, copy or disclose the message or any information contained in the message. If you have received the message in error, please advise the sender by reply e-mail and delete any version, response or reference to it.
Thank you.
From: D456 <david@dpjacob.com>To: cdcbaa@yahoogroups.comSent: Tue, April 5, 2011 1:01:26 PMSubject: [cdcbaa] Re: Bass & Associates 2 Year Update
The Bass and Associates letter now has an option for the debtor's attorney to set a time and date to pick up the "collateral" I am tempted or is the trash still the best option? My debtor would be willing to pay on the $1700 debt if the financing terms are the same pre bankruptcy. I have read the previous list serve advice from 2009 & I am wondering if it still applies 2 years later. Thanks, David Jacob--- In cdcbaa@yahoogroups.com, Dennis McGoldrick <easky1@...> wrote:>> Liens survive bankruptcy. When debtors buy items at Best Buy, and many other stores, using the financing provided by the store, there is a purchase money lien given to the financing company as part of the transaction.> > Bass & Associates are trying to get
unsophisticated debtors, who do not understand these kinds of things are not repossessed, to pay for the items purchased after the bankruptcy.> > As Jim and I have said, these letters go into the circular file.> > dennis> > --- On Fri, 10/2/09, Jacob Chang <jacobchang.esq@...> wrote:> > > From: Jacob Chang <jacobchang.esq@...>> Subject: Re: [cdcbaa] Bass & Associates> To: cdcbaa@yahoogroups.com> Date: Friday, October 2, 2009, 4:53 PM> > > > > > > What specifically are you referring to? Can you be more specific?> > Jacob D. Chang, Esq.> Law Offices of Jacob D. Chang> 1600 Wilshire Boulevard, Third Floor> Los Angeles, CA 90017>
Tel: (213) 252-4440> Fax: (213) 738-1116> Email: jacobchang.esq@ gmail.com> > Please kindly consider the environment before printing this e-mail.> > Note: This electronic mail is intended to be received and read only by certain individuals. It may contain information that is attorney-client privileged or protected from disclosure by law. If it has been misdirected, or if you suspect you have received this in error, please notify me by replying and then delete both the message and reply. Thank you.> > > full version of what I meant to say was:My advice is to ignore the letter from American General, just as I advise ignoring the letters from Bass & Associates sent on behalf of Best Buy. In my years of bankruptcy practice, I have never known of a creditor claiming a security interest in household goods to seek recovery of the
"collateral" after the bankruptcy discharge. If anyone has experience to the contrary, please share.As I explain to clients, the creditor would need to file suit for claim and delivery, obtain a judgment, obtain a Writ of Possession, and instruct (and pay) the Sheriff to levy the Writ and obtain possession of the goods. It's just not going to happen. Automobiles and boats are the exception since they can be more easily repossessed, and that leads to our oft-repeated discussion on this list-serve about which creditors are repossessing non-reaffirmed automobiles post-discharge (the consensus is still only Ford & Chrysler, I believe).These letters are being sent to try to shake money out of uninformed pro-per debtors.JimJames R. SelthWeintraub & Selth, APC12121 Wilshire Boulevard, Suite 1300Los Angeles, California 90025Telephone: (310) 207-1494Facsimile: (310) 442-0660E-Mail:
jim@...> > On Thu, Oct 1, 2009 at 8:21 PM, Angeleno <greifenlaw@gmail. com> wrote:> > > > > > > Wondering how others handle Bass & Associates letter claiming "purchase money security interest in consumer goods">

The post was migrated from Yahoo.
Yahoo Bot

The Bass and Associates letter now has an option for the debtor's attorney to set a time and date to pick up the "collateral"
My debtor would be willing to pay on the $1700 debt if the financing terms are the same pre bankruptcy.
I have read the previous list serve advice from 2009 & I am wondering if it still applies 2 years later.
Thanks,
David Jacob
>
> Liens survive bankruptcy. When debtors buy items at Best Buy, and many other stores, using the financing provided by the store, there is a purchase money lien given to the financing company as part of the transaction.
>
> Bass & Associates are trying to get unsophisticated debtors, who do not understand these kinds of things are not repossessed, to pay for the items purchased after the bankruptcy.
>
> As Jim and I have said, these letters go into the circular file.
>
> dennis
>
> --- On Fri, 10/2/09, Jacob Chang wrote:
>
>
> Subject: Re: [cdcbaa] Bass & Associates
> To: cdcbaa@yahoogroups.com
> Date: Friday, October 2, 2009, 4:53 PM
>
>
>
>
>
>
> What specifically are you referring to? Can you be more specific?
>
> Jacob D. Chang, Esq.
> Law Offices of Jacob D. Chang
> 1600 Wilshire Boulevard, Third Floor
> Los Angeles, CA 90017
> Tel: (213) 252-4440
> Fax: (213) 738-1116
> Email: jacobchang.esq@ gmail.com
>
> Please kindly consider the environment before printing this e-mail.
>
> Note: This electronic mail is intended to be received and read only by certain individuals. It may contain information that is attorney-client privileged or protected from disclosure by law. If it has been misdirected, or if you suspect you have received this in error, please notify me by replying and then delete both the message and reply. Thank you.
>
>
> full version of what I meant to say was:
My advice is to ignore the letter from American General, just as I advise ignoring the letters from Bass & Associates sent on behalf of Best Buy. In my years of bankruptcy practice, I have never known of a creditor claiming a security interest in household goods to seek recovery of the "collateral" after the bankruptcy discharge. If anyone has experience to the contrary, please share.
As I explain to clients, the creditor would need to file suit for claim and delivery, obtain a judgment, obtain a Writ of Possession, and instruct (and pay) the Sheriff to levy the Writ and obtain possession of the goods. It's just not going to happen. Automobiles and boats are the exception since they can be more easily repossessed, and that leads to our oft-repeated discussion on this list-serve about which creditors are repossessing non-reaffirmed automobiles post-discharge (the consensus is still only Ford & Chrysler, I believe).
These letters are being sent to try to shake money out of uninformed pro-per debtors.
Jim
James R. Selth
Weintraub & Selth, APC
12121 Wilshire Boulevard, Suite 1300
Los Angeles, California 90025
Telephone: (310) 207-1494
Facsimile: (310) 442-0660
E-Mail: jim@...
>
> On Thu, Oct 1, 2009 at 8:21 PM, Angeleno wrote:
>
>
>
>
>
>
> Wondering how others handle Bass & Associates letter claiming "purchase money security interest in consumer goods"
>

The post was migrated from Yahoo.