Contacting IRS re discharge of taxes

Yahoo Bot

Hi, Jim: Try calling 213-576-4400 and speak to the appropriate agent
handling that debtor's last name. I don't think you need a power of attorney here.
Let them know there is a stay violation issue. I think they will correct the
problem quickly.

The post was migrated from Yahoo.
Yahoo Bot

True, but try calling the local special procedures department first. They are still there (at least the one in Laguna Niguel is). The Insolvency Unit in Philadelphia has NO concept of bankruptcy, even though that's what they're doing there. The people that work in special procedures, such as Sam Marvin and, formerly Gary Baddin (now with the OUST), are very knowledgeable.
11684 Ventura Blvd. PMB #403
Studio City, CA 91604-2652
(818)509-1173 (818)509-1460 (fax)
web: http://www.bklaw.com/
This Firm is a Qualified Federal Debt Relief Agency
NOTICE: This Electronic Message contains information from the law office of Mark J. Markus that may be privileged. The information is intended for the use of the addressee only. If you are not the addressee, note that any disclosure, copy, distribution or use of the contents of this message is prohibited.
IRS CIRCULAR 230 NOTICE: To ensure compliance with requirements imposed by the IRS, we inform you that any U.S. tax advice contained in this communication (or in any attachment) is not intended or written to be used, and cannot be used, for the purpose of (i) avoiding penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or (ii) promoting, marketing or recommending to another party any transaction or matter addressed in this communication (or in any attachment).
----- Original Message -----
To: cdcbaa@yahoogroups.com
Cc: Nicholas Gebelt
Sent: Friday, January 18, 2008 2:50 PM
Subject: Re: [cdcbaa] Contacting IRS re discharge of taxes
Dear Jim,
The IRS bankruptcy unit is now in Philadelphia. My experience tells me that you will not be able to discuss your client's case without having a power of attorney (Form 2848 - available at www.irs.gov) on file. You must include your CAF number (it's your IRS practitioner's ID number) in the form. If you do not have a CAF number, you'll need to get one. Call the practitioner's hotline at 866.860.4259 to get started. The person you talk to will assign you a CAF number to use in all subsequent dealings with the IRS.
In addition, the agent will give you a fax number where you must fax your power of attorney (there isn't just one number - you have to fax it to the fax machine where your interlocutor is). Once the power of attorney is in the system the agent will give you the number of the person handling your client's case.
Finally, the lien unit in Cincinnati may have information on the matter. The number there is 800.913.6050, but they will not talk to you without a POA on file.
I hope this helps.
All the best,
Nick
Nicholas Gebelt, Ph.D., J.D.
Law Offices of Nicholas Gebelt
15150 Hornell Street
Whittier, CA 90604
Phone: 562.777.9159
FAX: 562.946.1365
Web: www.goodbye2debt.com
Email: mn.gebelt@verizon.net
Confidentiality Note: This e-mail is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged, confidential, or otherwise protected from disclosure. Dissemination, distribution, or copying of this e-mail or the information herein by anyone other than the intended recipient, or an employee or agent responsible for delivering the message to the intended recipient, is prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify us immediately at 562.777.9159 or e-mail info@goodbye2debt.com and destroy the original message and all copies.
Sent: Friday, January 18, 2008 9:30 AM
Subject: RE: [cdcbaa] Contacting IRS re discharge of taxes
Dear Group:
Our client's pre-BAPCPA Chapter 7 bankruptcy was filed in July 2005 and discharged in April 2006. The case was filed primarily to discharge 1999 federal income taxes, and there were no intervening bankruptcies or other events which would make them nondischargeable. Now the client has received a Notice of Intent to Levy letter from the IRS for these 1999 taxes. He says that when he called the contact number listed, he was told that federal tax debt is not dischargeable. My question for the group: is there a specific bankruptcy department / contact number in the IRS I can call to get this straightened out? Will they require a Power of Attorney to even speak with me?
Jim
James R. Selth
Weintraub & Selth, APC
12424 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 1120
Los Angeles, CA 90025
Telephone: (310) 207-1494
Facsimile: (310) 442-0660
E-Mail: jim@wsrlaw.net
NOTICE TO RECIPIENT: THIS E-MAIL IS MEANT FOR ONLY THE INTENDED RECIPIENT OF
THE TRANSMISSION, AND THIS COMMUNICATION IS INTENDED TO BE PRIVILEGED BY
LAW. IF YOU RECEIVED THIS E-MAIL IN ERROR, ANY REVIEW, USE, DISSEMINATION,
DISTRIBUTION, OR COPYING OF THIS E-MAIL IS STRICTLY PROHIBITED. PLEASE NOTIFY
US IMMEDIATELY OF THE ERROR BY RETURN E-MAIL AND PLEASE DELETE THIS
MESSAGE FROM YOUR SYSTEM. THANK YOU IN ADVANCE FOR YOUR COOPERATION.

Yahoo Bot

Dear Jim,
The IRS bankruptcy unit is now in Philadelphia. My experience tells me that you will not be able to discuss your client's case without having a power of attorney (Form 2848 - available at www.irs.gov) on file. You must include your CAF number (it's your IRS practitioner's ID number) in the form. If you do not have a CAF number, you'll need to get one. Call the practitioner's hotline at 866.860.4259 to get started. The person you talk to will assign you a CAF number to use in all subsequent dealings with the IRS.
In addition, the agent will give you a fax number where you must fax your power of attorney (there isn't just one number - you have to fax it to the fax machine where your interlocutor is). Once the power of attorney is in the system the agent will give you the number of the person handling your client's case.
Finally, the lien unit in Cincinnati may have information on the matter. The number there is 800.913.6050, but they will not talk to you without a POA on file.
I hope this helps.
All the best,
Nick
Nicholas Gebelt, Ph.D., J.D.
Law Offices of Nicholas Gebelt
15150 Hornell Street
Whittier, CA 90604
Phone: 562.777.9159
FAX: 562.946.1365
Web: www.goodbye2debt.com
Email: mn.gebelt@verizon.net
Confidentiality Note: This e-mail is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged, confidential, or otherwise protected from disclosure. Dissemination, distribution, or copying of this e-mail or the information herein by anyone other than the intended recipient, or an employee or agent responsible for delivering the message to the intended recipient, is prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify us immediately at 562.777.9159 or e-mail info@goodbye2debt.com and destroy the original message and all copies.
Dear Group:
Our client's pre-BAPCPA Chapter 7 bankruptcy was filed in July 2005 and discharged in April 2006. The case was filed primarily to discharge 1999 federal income taxes, and there were no intervening bankruptcies or other events which would make them nondischargeable. Now the client has received a Notice of Intent to Levy letter from the IRS for these 1999 taxes. He says that when he called the contact number listed, he was told that federal tax debt is not dischargeable. My question for the group: is there a specific bankruptcy department / contact number in the IRS I can call to get this straightened out? Will they require a Power of Attorney to even speak with me?
Jim
James R. Selth
Weintraub & Selth, APC
Los Angeles, CA 90025
THE TRANSMISSION, AND THIS COMMUNICATION IS INTENDED TO BE PRIVILEGED BY LAW. IF YOU RECEIVED THIS E-MAIL IN ERROR, ANY REVIEW, USE, DISSEMINATION,

Yahoo Bot

That's the standard response with the IRS. You will need a Form 2848 for the POA. They will not talk to you otherwise if there is no BK pending at this time. You can fax it over and they will talk to you then.

Samuel Marvin is the contact person in LA re: BK and IRS taxes.

Susana B. Tolchard, Esq.
LAW OFFICES OF SUSANA B. TOLCHARD & ASSOCIATES
23734 Valencia Blvd., Suite 304
Valencia, CA 91355
Telephone: (661) 287-9986
Facsimile: (661) 287-9662
"James R. Selth" wrote:
Dear Group:

Jim

James R. Selth
Weintraub & Selth, APC
Los Angeles, CA 90025

Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile. Try it now.
That's the standard response with the IRS. You will need a Form 2848 for the POA. They will not talk to you otherwise if there is no BK pending at this time. You can fax it over and they will talk to you then. Samuel Marvin is the contact person in LA re: BK and IRS taxes. Susana B. Tolchard, Esq.LAW OFFICES OF SUSANA B. TOLCHARD & ASSOCIATES23734 Valencia Blvd., Suite 304Valencia, CA 91355Telephone: (661) 287-9986Facsimile: (661) 287-9662"James R. Selth" <jim@wsrlaw.net> wrote:
Dear Group: Our client's pre-BAPCPA Chapter 7 bankruptcy was filed in July 2005 and discharged in April 2006. The case was filed primarily to discharge 1999 federal income taxes, and there were no intervening bankruptcies or other events which would make them nondischargeable. Now the client has received a Notice of Intent to Levy letter from the IRS for these 1999 taxes. He says that when he called the contact number listed, he was told that federal tax debt is not dischargeable. My question for the group: is there a specific bankruptcy department / contact number in the IRS I can call to get this straightened out? Will they require a Power of Attorney to even speak with me? Jim James R. Selth Weintraub & Selth, APC 12424 Wilshire
Blvd., Suite 1120 Los Angeles, CA 90025 Telephone: (310) 207-1494 Facsimile: (310) 442-0660 E-Mail: jim@wsrlaw.net NOTICE TO RECIPIENT: THIS E-MAIL IS MEANT FOR ONLY THE INTENDED RECIPIENT OF THE TRANSMISSION, AND THIS COMMUNICATION IS INTENDED TO BE PRIVILEGED BY LAW. IF YOU RECEIVED THIS E-MAIL IN ERROR, ANY REVIEW, USE, DISSEMINATION, DISTRIBUTION, OR COPYING OF THIS E-MAIL IS STRICTLY PROHIBITED. PLEASE NOTIFY US IMMEDIATELY OF THE ERROR BY RETURN E-MAIL AND PLEASE DELETE THIS MESSAGE FROM YOUR SYSTEM. THANK YOU IN ADVANCE FOR YOUR COOPERATION.
Be a better friend, newshound, and
know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile. Try it now.

Yahoo Bot

You need to talk to the special procedures department. Where was the case filed? In LA the number used to be 213-576-4400. You shouldn't need POA if you are attorney of record on the BK, but you might.
11684 Ventura Blvd. PMB #403
Studio City, CA 91604-2652
(818)509-1173 (818)509-1460 (fax)
web: http://www.bklaw.com/
This Firm is a Qualified Federal Debt Relief Agency
NOTICE: This Electronic Message contains information from the law office of Mark J. Markus that may be privileged. The information is intended for the use of the addressee only. If you are not the addressee, note that any disclosure, copy, distribution or use of the contents of this message is prohibited.
IRS CIRCULAR 230 NOTICE: To ensure compliance with requirements imposed by the IRS, we inform you that any U.S. tax advice contained in this communication (or in any attachment) is not intended or written to be used, and cannot be used, for the purpose of (i) avoiding penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or (ii) promoting, marketing or recommending to another party any transaction or matter addressed in this communication (or in any attachment).
Dear Group:
Jim
James R. Selth
Weintraub & Selth, APC
Los Angeles, CA 90025
THE TRANSMISSION, AND THIS COMMUNICATION IS INTENDED TO BE PRIVILEGED BY LAW. IF YOU RECEIVED THIS E-MAIL IN ERROR, ANY REVIEW, USE, DISSEMINATION,
You need to talk to the special proceduresdepartment. Where was the case filed? In LA the number used to be
213-576-4400. You shouldn't need POA if you are attorney of record
on the BK, but you might.

______________________Mark J. MarkusLaw
Office of Mark J. Markus11684 Ventura Blvd. PMB #403Studio City, CA91604-2652(818)509-1173 (818)509-1460 (fax)web: http://www.bklaw.com/This Firm is aQualified Federal Debt Relief Agency___________NOTICE: This Electronic
Message contains information from the law office of Mark J. Markus that may be
privileged. The information is intended for the use of the addresseeonly. If you are not the addressee, note that any disclosure, copy,
distribution or use of the contents of this message is prohibited.IRS
CIRCULAR 230 NOTICE: To ensure compliance with requirements imposed by the IRS,
we inform you that any U.S. tax advice contained in this communication (or in
any attachment) is not intended or written to be used, and cannot be used, for
the purpose of (i) avoiding penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or (ii)
promoting, marketing or recommending to another party any transaction or
matter addressed in this communication (or in any attachment).
James R. Selth
Sent: Friday, January 18, 2008 9:30
AM
Subject: RE: [cdcbaa] Contacting IRS re
discharge of taxes

Dear Group:

Our client's pre-BAPCPA Chapter 7 bankruptcy was filed in July 2005 and
discharged in April 2006. The case was filed primarily to discharge
1999 federal income taxes, and there were no intervening bankruptcies or other
events which would make them nondischargeable. Now the client has
received a Notice of Intent to Levy letter from the IRS for these 1999
taxes. He says that when he called the contact number listed, he was
told that federal tax debt is not dischargeable. My question for
the group: is there a specific bankruptcy department / contact
number in the IRS I can call to get this straightened out? Will
they require a Power of Attorney to even speak with me?

Jim

James R. Selth
Weintraub & Selth, APC
Los Angeles, CA 90025

NOTICE TO RECIPIENT: THIS E-MAIL IS MEANT FOR ONLY THE INTENDED RECIPIENT
OF

LAW. IF YOU RECEIVED THIS E-MAIL IN ERROR, ANY REVIEW, USE,
DISSEMINATION,
DISTRIBUTION, OR COPYING OF THIS E-MAIL IS STRICTLY PROHIBITED. PLEASE
NOTIFY
MESSAGE FROM YOUR SYSTEM. THANK YOU IN ADVANCE FOR YOUR
COOPERATION.

Yahoo Bot

Dear Group:
Jim
James R. Selth
Weintraub & Selth, APC
Los Angeles, CA 90025
Dear Group:

Jim

James R. Selth
Weintraub & Selth, APC
Los Angeles, CA 90025