Questions for the Clerks March 20 Meeting

Yahoo Bot

Hello Everyone:
A client, who owns an insurance agency, filed for ch 7 bk. The client's business basically consists of what's called a "book of business" where the client spends 8-9 hours every day calling the existing clients to explain the services and to make sure the clients are happy. Otherwise, they could swith to another agency. At a recent 341 hearing in WH, the trustee asked the client about the number of policies in existence in 2008 that were renewed in 2009. The client gave an approximate figure and based on that the trustee is now stating that the 2010 renewals for any policy existing on the date of filing are part of the bk estate. I reviewed the code defining "property of the estate" and subsection (6) states that the property of estate includes "Proceeds, product, offspring, rents, or profits of or from property of the estate, except such as are earnings from services performed by an individual debtor after the commencement of the case." The client is
stating that in order for 90% of the exisitng policies to be renewed, he needs to "service" each policy by calling the clients every day, explaining different products, offering better terms, and doing everything to keep them happy and to ensure another renewal. Unless, I'm misreading the code section, I want to let the trustee know that because the client needs to spent his time and labor on most of these policies to ensure renewals, the renewals should NOT be considered part of bk estate per language of subsection 6 (is this correct??). Did anyone have a similar experience or know how to handle it? I need to provide the information to trustee by next week. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
Sofya Davtyan
Sent: Sun, March 7, 2010 12:07:28 PM
Subject: Re: [cdcbaa] Questions for the Clerks March 20 Meeting
Andrew,
Despite the general tone of your email, you offer several helpful suggestions, so thank you for that.
IMO, I'm sure almost all questions can probably be answered through independent research. Sometimes, though it's nice to be able to ask a question to the group and get a substantive response. Isn't that one of the purposes of this listserv? This reminds me of a joke, something to the effect of "everyone that drives slower than me are idiots and everyone that drives faster is a crazy nut."
Maybe there needs to be a separate listserv for newbies and advanced practitioners. In the meantime, though, how about you filter to trash emails that contain "newbie" in the subject heading as well as emails from known newbies? That way, you may be able to avoid getting upset on a Sunday morning and avoid the risk of offending us newbies by calling us opportunistic and lazy.
Jacob D. Chang, Esq.
Law Offices of Jacob D. Chang
1600 Wilshire Boulevard, Third Floor
Los Angeles, CA 90017
Tel: (213) 252-4440
Fax: (213) 738-1116
Email: jacobchang.esq@ gmail.com
Please kindly consider the environment before printing this e-mail.
Note: This electronic mail is intended to be received and read only by certain individuals. It may contain information that is attorney-client privileged or protected from disclosure by law. If it has been misdirected, or if you suspect you have received this in error, please notify me by replying and then delete both the message and reply. Thank you.
On Sat, Mar 6, 2010 at 3:12 PM, Andrew Goodman wrote:
>With all due respect, the clerks have so much work to do and so many pleadings to process they really have NO time to mentor or teach young or lazy (no offense) lawyers who are eithernew to bankruptcy, want to become bankruptcy lawyers because of the "nature of the times".The court with the assistance of theBar went through more than a year ago and re-wrote the Local Bankruptcy Rules and created a CourtManual. The CDCBAA put pon a GREAT programin January 2009 explaining the changes in the Rules. When I was a younger bk lawyer, if I didn'tunderstand how to file or obtain a hearing date, IREAD the Local Rulesor perhaps asked my secretary or a more seasoned lawyer.If you want to make some enemies, call thejudges clerk and askthem how todosomething that's clearly in the local rules. As to filing dates and emergency motions, if you go to the website/information /judges name, eachjudge has set up self-calendaring procedures and
procedures for emergency motions, etc.
>
>This is not "ROCKET SURGERY" (and yes, I knowexactly what I wrote). Read the rules, do your homework or find a mentor - but leave the clerks of the court alone. They are underpaid/overworke d, very nice peoplewho don'tneed to be harassed by lawyerstoo lazy to do their job.r 25 years, during a time when there was NO internet and everything was hand filed, with extra copies that had to be tabbed and blue-backed, I think the attorneys working in the bankruptcy community today have it incredibly EASY.
>
>Andrew Goodman
>GOODMAN FAITH
>21650 Oxnard Street, Suite 500
>Woodland Hills, CA. 91367
>818-827-9250
>818-932-3684- fax
>agoodman@goodmanfai th.com
>
>
>
>
>Sent: Tue, March 2, 2010 3:00:13 PM
>Subject: Re: [cdcbaa] Questions for the Clerks March 20 Meeting
>
>
>Great points all around, Christine!
>
>As much as I've looked, though I could have easily missed something, I haven't been able to find the step-by-step action guide for bankruptcy practice, especially within the context of a motion or AP practice. It seems these are trade secrets passed down from mentor to mentee.
>
>If there is something like this, please point us in the right direction.>
>Jacob D. Chang, Esq.
>Law Offices of Jacob D. Chang
>1600 Wilshire Boulevard, Third Floor
>Los Angeles, CA 90017
>Tel: (213) 252-4440
>Fax: (213) 738-1116
>Email: jacobchang.esq@ gmail.com
>
>Please kindly consider the environment before printing this e-mail.
>
>Note: This electronic mail is intended to be received and read only by certain individuals. It may contain information that is attorney-client privileged or protected from disclosure by law. If it has been misdirected, or if you suspect you have received this in error, please notify me by replying and then delete both the message and reply. Thank you.
>
>
>
>
>On Tue, Mar 2, 2010 at 8:02 AM, Christine Wilton wrote:
>
>
>>Hello Esteemed Board and Colleagues:
>>
>>I would like to pose the following questions to our upcoming panel of Clerks:
>>
>>1. Step by step Motions; from filing, calendaring, serving notice, etc. Please cite the rules and where I can find the answers and in what order these steps should be accomplished. [just a handout is all I need really]
>>
>>2. Is there some Clerk's Outline? Can we get an inside look at the Clerk's training manual?
>>
>>3. Can we have a Clerk's Hotline for our generally basic questions before we attempt tasks on our own?
>>
>>4. Can I volunteer to be a clerk for a day and follow them around?>>
>>Thanks,
>>--
>>Christine A. Wilton
>>Principal Attorney
>>Greifendorff Law Offices
>>4067 Hardwick Street, #319
>>Lakewood, CA 90712
>>Toll Free: 877-207-6013
>>Cell: 562-824-7563
>>Fax: 562-804-4028
>>Email: attorneychristine@ gmail.com
>>Web: www.greifenlaw. com
>>Blog: www.losangelesbankr uptcylawmonitor. com
>>
>>************ ********* ******
>>This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are private and confidential and are solely for the use of the addressee. It may contain material which is legally privileged. If you are not the addressee or the person responsible for delivering to the addressee, be advised that you have received this e-mail in error and that any use of it is strictly prohibited.
>>
>
>
Hello Everyone:A client, who owns an insurance agency, filed for ch 7 bk. The client's business basically consists of what's called a "book of business" where the client spends 8-9 hours every day calling the existing clients to explain the services and to make sure the clients are happy. Otherwise, they could swith to another agency. At a recent 341 hearing in WH, the trustee asked the client about the number of policies in existence in 2008 that were renewed in 2009. The client gave an approximate figure and based on that the trustee is now stating that the 2010 renewals for any policy existing on the date of filing are part of the bk estate. I reviewed the code defining "property of the estate" and subsection (6) states that the property of estate includes "Proceeds, product,
offspring, rents, or profits of or from property of the estate, except such as are earnings from services performed by an individual debtor after the commencement of the case." The client is stating that in order for 90% of the exisitng policies to be renewed, he needs to "service" each policy by calling the clients every day, explaining different products, offering better terms, and doing everything to keep them happy and to ensure another renewal. Unless, I'm misreading the code section, I want to let the trustee know that because the client needs to spent his time and labor on most of these policies to ensure renewals, the renewals should NOT be considered part of bk estate per language of subsection 6 (is this correct??). Did anyone have a similar experience or know how to handle it? I need to provide the information to trustee by next week. Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Sofya Davtyan
From: Jacob Chang <jacobchang.esq@gmail.com>To: cdcbaa@yahoogroups.comSent: Sun, March 7, 2010 12:07:28 PMSubject: Re: [cdcbaa] Questions for the Clerks March 20 Meeting
Andrew,
Despite the general tone of your email, you offer several helpful suggestions, so thank you for that.
IMO, I'm sure almost all questions can probably be answered through independent research. Sometimes, though it's nice to be able to ask a question to the group and get a substantive response. Isn't that one of the purposes of this listserv? This reminds me of a joke, something to the effect of "everyone that drives slower than me are idiots and everyone that drives faster is a crazy nut."
Maybe there needs to be a separate listserv for newbies and advanced practitioners. In the meantime, though, how about you filter to trash emails that contain "newbie" in the subject heading as well as emails from known newbies? That way, you may be able to avoid getting upset on a Sunday morning and avoid the risk of offending us newbies by calling us opportunistic and lazy.
Jacob D. Chang, Esq.Law Offices of Jacob D. Chang1600 Wilshire Boulevard, Third FloorLos Angeles, CA 90017Tel: (213) 252-4440Fax: (213) 738-1116Email: jacobchang.esq@ gmail.comPlease kindly consider the environment before printing this e-mail.Note: This electronic mail is intended to be received and read only by certain individuals. It may contain information that is attorney-client privileged or protected from disclosure by law. If it has been misdirected, or if you suspect you have received this in error, please notify me by replying and then delete both the message and reply. Thank you.
On Sat, Mar 6, 2010 at 3:12 PM, Andrew Goodman <andyg1207@yahoo. com> wrote:

With all due respect, the clerks have so much work to do and so many pleadings to process they really have NO time to mentor or teach young or lazy (no offense) lawyers who are either new to bankruptcy, want to become bankruptcy lawyers because of the "nature of the times". The court with the assistance of the Bar went through more than a year ago and re-wrote the Local Bankruptcy Rules and created a Court Manual. The CDCBAA put pon a GREAT program in January 2009 explaining the changes in the Rules. When I was a younger bk lawyer, if I didn't understand how to file or obtain a hearing date, I READ the Local Rules or perhaps asked my secretary or a more seasoned lawyer. If you want to make some enemies, call the judges clerk and ask them how to do something that's clearly in the local rules. As to filing dates and emergency motions, if you go to the website/information /judges name,
each judge has set up self-calendaring procedures and procedures for emergency motions, etc.

This is not "ROCKET SURGERY" (and yes, I know exactly what I wrote). Read the rules, do your homework or find a mentor - but leave the clerks of the court alone. They are underpaid/overworke d, very nice people who don't need to be harassed by lawyers too lazy to do their job. Sorry if this is a little strong worked, but after doing this for over 25 years, during a time when there was NO internet and everything was hand filed, with extra copies that had to be tabbed and blue-backed, I think the attorneys working in the bankruptcy community today have it incredibly EASY.
Andrew GoodmanGOODMAN FAITH21650 Oxnard Street, Suite 500
Woodland Hills, CA. 91367
818-827-9250
818-932-3684- fax
agoodman@goodmanfai th.com
From: Jacob Chang <jacobchang.esq@ gmail.com>To: cdcbaa@yahoogroups. com
Sent: Tue, March 2, 2010 3:00:13 PMSubject: Re: [cdcbaa] Questions for the Clerks March 20 Meeting
Great points all around, Christine!
As much as I've looked, though I could have easily missed something, I haven't been able to find the step-by-step action guide for bankruptcy practice, especially within the context of a motion or AP practice. It seems these are trade secrets passed down from mentor to mentee.If there is something like this, please point us in the right direction. Jacob D. Chang, Esq.Law Offices of Jacob D. Chang1600 Wilshire Boulevard, Third FloorLos Angeles, CA 90017Tel: (213) 252-4440Fax: (213) 738-1116Email: jacobchang.esq@ gmail.comPlease kindly consider the environment before printing this e-mail.Note: This electronic mail is intended to be received and read only by certain individuals. It may contain information that is attorney-client privileged or
protected from disclosure by law. If it has been misdirected, or if you suspect you have received this in error, please notify me by replying and then delete both the message and reply. Thank you.
On Tue, Mar 2, 2010 at 8:02 AM, Christine Wilton attorneychristine@ gmail.com> wrote:

Hello Esteemed Board and Colleagues:

I would like to pose the following questions to our upcoming panel of Clerks:

1. Step by step Motions; from filing, calendaring, serving notice, etc. Please cite the rules and where I can find the answers and in what order these steps should be accomplished. [just a handout is all I need really]

2. Is there some Clerk's Outline? Can we get an inside look at the Clerk's training manual?

3. Can we have a Clerk's Hotline for our generally basic questions before we attempt tasks on our own?

4. Can I volunteer to be a clerk for a day and follow them around? Kind of like a ride-along with a cop.

Thanks,-- Christine A. WiltonPrincipal AttorneyGreifendorff Law Offices4067 Hardwick Street, #319Lakewood, CA 90712Toll Free: 877-207-6013Cell: 562-824-7563Fax: 562-804-4028Email: attorneychristine@ gmail.comWeb: www.greifenlaw. comBlog: www.losangelesbankr uptcylawmonitor. com
************ ********* ******This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are private and confidential and are solely for the use of the addressee. It may contain material which is legally privileged. If you are not the addressee or the person responsible for delivering to the addressee, be advised that you have received this e-mail in error and that any use of it is strictly prohibited.

The post was migrated from Yahoo.
Yahoo Bot

Bankruptcy practice is not really comparable to or like civil litigation. Representing debtors today is more like emergency trauma surgery than it is the practice of law. Preparation of the Schedules requires not only a full understanding of multiple practice areas and areas of law, but also the ability to merge legal theories and consequences into court filed documents that fully, completely and accurately set forth facts supported by client documents and documentation that are in horrible condition as far as record keeping. This is the most difficult concept that "newbies" have to get their arms around. Keep with it, give it time, ask questions, find a mentor to assist you, and bankruptcy practice will become more understandable.
Lou Esbin
>
> I don't thin all of the answers are out there. I've been practicing civil litigation for 14 years and virtually every procedural question could be answered with the Rutter Guide. I have yet to find anything comparable in bk (not even the Rutter Guide on bk). The Civ Pro Rutter Guide will basically take you paragraph by paragraph as to what needs to be in a complaint. There is nothing that I've found that does the same with the schedules. And there are very few "practice pointers" to be found in the books. I have spent over $1k on books and am still struggling to find answers to many questions. I think that this is more like rocket science than civ litigation. I certainly have a new perspective on all the civil litigators that I've called idiots in my time as now I am one of them in the bk world. I don't think that anyone on here is asking questions in bad faith (I.e., without prior thought or research). And, I don't think that a separate listserv or a mentor/mentee listserv is a good idea. Maybe Mr. Hayes could then certify which questions are appropriate for the larger forum.
> Cameron
>
> Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry
>
> -----Original Message-----
> Date: Sun, 07 Mar 2010 20:56:30
> To:
> Subject: [cdcbaa] Re: Questions for the Clerks March 20 Meeting
>
> How about this format suggestion for submitting a question to the ListServ, as an example:
>
> 1. Brief Factual Summary: I represent a debtor who will be filing a chapter 13 case and am concerned about whether by determining the value of the residential property between the first and the second the debtor will be over the debt limits.
> 2. Research Result: My research has led me to understand that several judges rely upon a motion, while others an adversary proceeding. Also, Judge Tighe's Smith case leads me to believe that the wholly undersecured second would push the client over the limit.
> 3A. Issue: Which judges rely upon motions and which adversary proceedings.
> 3B. Issue: How should I address Judge Tighe's Smith case and its pending appeal if I want to argue that the wholly undersecured second does not cause the debtor to exceed the unsecured debt limit.
>
> Lou Esbin
>
>
> --- In cdcbaa@yahoogroups.com, Jacob Chang wrote:
> >
> > Andrew,
> >
> > Despite the general tone of your email, you offer several helpful
> > suggestions, so thank you for that.
> >
> > IMO, I'm sure almost all questions can probably be answered through
> > independent research. Sometimes, though it's nice to be able to ask a
> > question to the group and get a substantive response. Isn't that one of the
> > purposes of this listserv? This reminds me of a joke, something to the
> > effect of "everyone that drives slower than me are idiots and everyone that
> > drives faster is a crazy nut."
> >
> > Maybe there needs to be a separate listserv for newbies and advanced
> > practitioners. In the meantime, though, how about you filter to trash
> > emails that contain "newbie" in the subject heading as well as emails from
> > known newbies? That way, you may be able to avoid getting upset on a Sunday
> > morning and avoid the risk of offending us newbies by calling us
> > opportunistic and lazy.
> >
> > Jacob D. Chang, Esq.
> > Law Offices of Jacob D. Chang
> > 1600 Wilshire Boulevard, Third Floor
> > Los Angeles, CA 90017
> > Tel: (213) 252-4440
> > Fax: (213) 738-1116
> > Email: jacobchang.esq@
> >
> > Please kindly consider the environment before printing this e-mail.
> >
> > Note: This electronic mail is intended to be received and read only by
> > certain individuals. It may contain information that is attorney-client
> > privileged or protected from disclosure by law. If it has been misdirected,
> > or if you suspect you have received this in error, please notify me by
> > replying and then delete both the message and reply. Thank you.
> >
> >
> >
> > On Sat, Mar 6, 2010 at 3:12 PM, Andrew Goodman wrote:
> >
> > >
> > >
> > > With all due respect, the clerks have so much work to do and so many
> > > pleadings to process they really have NO time to mentor or teach young or
> > > lazy (no offense) lawyers who are either new to bankruptcy, want to become
> > > bankruptcy lawyers because of the "nature of the times". The court with the
> > > assistance of the Bar went through more than a year ago and re-wrote the
> > > Local Bankruptcy Rules and created a Court Manual. The CDCBAA put pon a
> > > GREAT program in January 2009 explaining the changes in the Rules. When I
> > > was a younger bk lawyer, if I didn't understand how to file or obtain a
> > > hearing date, I READ the Local Rules or perhaps asked my secretary or a more
> > > seasoned lawyer. If you want to make some enemies, call the judges clerk and
> > > ask them how to do something that's clearly in the local rules. As to filing
> > > dates and emergency motions, if you go to the website/information/judges
> > > name, each judge has set up self-calendaring procedures and procedures for
> > > emergency motions, etc.
> > >
> > > This is not "ROCKET SURGERY" (and yes, I know exactly what I wrote). Read
> > > the rules, do your homework or find a mentor - but leave the clerks of the
> > > court alone. They are underpaid/overworked, very nice people who don't need
> > > to be harassed by lawyers too lazy to do their job. Sorry if this is a
> > > little strong worked, but after doing this for over 25 years, during a time
> > > when there was NO internet and everything was hand filed, with extra copies
> > > that had to be tabbed and blue-backed, I think the attorneys working in the
> > > bankruptcy community today have it incredibly EASY.
> > >
> > >
> > > Andrew Goodman
> > > GOODMAN FAITH
> > > 21650 Oxnard Street, Suite 500
> > >
> > > Woodland Hills, CA. 91367
> > >
> > > 818-827-9250
> > >
> > > 818-932-3684-fax
> > >
> > > agoodman@
> > >
> > > ------------------------------
> > > *From:* Jacob Chang
> > > *To:* cdcbaa@yahoogroups.com
> > >
> > > *Sent:* Tue, March 2, 2010 3:00:13 PM
> > > *Subject:* Re: [cdcbaa] Questions for the Clerks March 20 Meeting
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > > Great points all around, Christine!
> > >
> > > As much as I've looked, though I could have easily missed something, I
> > > haven't been able to find the step-by-step action guide for bankruptcy
> > > practice, especially within the context of a motion or AP practice. It
> > > seems these are trade secrets passed down from mentor to mentee.
> > >
> > > If there is something like this, please point us in the right direction.
> > >
> > > Jacob D. Chang, Esq.
> > > Law Offices of Jacob D. Chang
> > > 1600 Wilshire Boulevard, Third Floor
> > > Los Angeles, CA 90017
> > > Tel: (213) 252-4440
> > > Fax: (213) 738-1116
> > > Email: jacobchang.esq@ gmail.com
> > >
> > > Please kindly consider the environment before printing this e-mail.
> > >
> > > Note: This electronic mail is intended to be received and read only by
> > > certain individuals. It may contain information that is attorney-client
> > > privileged or protected from disclosure by law. If it has been misdirected,
> > > or if you suspect you have received this in error, please notify me by
> > > replying and then delete both the message and reply. Thank you.
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > > On Tue, Mar 2, 2010 at 8:02 AM, Christine Wilton > > gmail.com > wrote:
> > >
> > >>
> > >>
> > >> Hello Esteemed Board and Colleagues:
> > >>
> > >> I would like to pose the following questions to our upcoming panel of
> > >> Clerks:
> > >>
> > >> 1. Step by step Motions; from filing, calendaring, serving notice, etc.
> > >> Please cite the rules and where I can find the answers and in what order
> > >> these steps should be accomplished. [just a handout is all I need really]
> > >>
> > >> 2. Is there some Clerk's Outline? Can we get an inside look at the
> > >> Clerk's training manual?
> > >>
> > >> 3. Can we have a Clerk's Hotline for our generally basic questions before
> > >> we attempt tasks on our own?
> > >>
> > >> 4. Can I volunteer to be a clerk for a day and follow them around? Kind
> > >> of like a ride-along with a cop.
> > >>
> > >> Thanks,
> > >> --
> > >> Christine A. Wilton
> > >> Principal Attorney
> > >> Greifendorff Law Offices
> > >> 4067 Hardwick Street, #319
> > >> Lakewood, CA 90712
> > >> Toll Free: 877-207-6013
> > >> Cell: 562-824-7563
> > >> Fax: 562-804-4028
> > >> Email: attorneychristine@ gmail.com
> > >> Web: www.greifenlaw. com
> > >> Blog: www.losangelesbankr uptcylawmonitor. com
> > >>
> > >> ************ ********* ******
> > >> This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are private and confidential
> > >> and are solely for the use of the addressee. It may contain material which
> > >> is legally privileged. If you are not the addressee or the person
> > >> responsible for delivering to the addressee, be advised that you have
> > >> received this e-mail in error and that any use of it is strictly prohibited.
> > >>
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> >
>

Yahoo Bot

How about this format suggestion for submitting a question to the ListServ, as an example:
1. Brief Factual Summary: I represent a debtor who will be filing a chapter 13 case and am concerned about whether by determining the value of the residential property between the first and the second the debtor will be over the debt limits.
2. Research Result: My research has led me to understand that several judges rely upon a motion, while others an adversary proceeding. Also, Judge Tighe's Smith case leads me to believe that the wholly undersecured second would push the client over the limit.
3A. Issue: Which judges rely upon motions and which adversary proceedings.
3B. Issue: How should I address Judge Tighe's Smith case and its pending appeal if I want to argue that the wholly undersecured second does not cause the debtor to exceed the unsecured debt limit.
Lou Esbin
>
> Andrew,
>
> Despite the general tone of your email, you offer several helpful
> suggestions, so thank you for that.
>
> IMO, I'm sure almost all questions can probably be answered through
> independent research. Sometimes, though it's nice to be able to ask a
> question to the group and get a substantive response. Isn't that one of the
> purposes of this listserv? This reminds me of a joke, something to the
> effect of "everyone that drives slower than me are idiots and everyone that
> drives faster is a crazy nut."
>
> Maybe there needs to be a separate listserv for newbies and advanced
> practitioners. In the meantime, though, how about you filter to trash
> emails that contain "newbie" in the subject heading as well as emails from
> known newbies? That way, you may be able to avoid getting upset on a Sunday
> morning and avoid the risk of offending us newbies by calling us
> opportunistic and lazy.
>
> Jacob D. Chang, Esq.
> Law Offices of Jacob D. Chang
> 1600 Wilshire Boulevard, Third Floor
> Los Angeles, CA 90017
> Tel: (213) 252-4440
> Fax: (213) 738-1116
> Email: jacobchang.esq@...
>
> Please kindly consider the environment before printing this e-mail.
>
> Note: This electronic mail is intended to be received and read only by
> certain individuals. It may contain information that is attorney-client
> privileged or protected from disclosure by law. If it has been misdirected,
> or if you suspect you have received this in error, please notify me by
> replying and then delete both the message and reply. Thank you.
>
>
>
> On Sat, Mar 6, 2010 at 3:12 PM, Andrew Goodman wrote:
>
> >
> >
> > With all due respect, the clerks have so much work to do and so many
> > pleadings to process they really have NO time to mentor or teach young or
> > lazy (no offense) lawyers who are either new to bankruptcy, want to become
> > bankruptcy lawyers because of the "nature of the times". The court with the
> > assistance of the Bar went through more than a year ago and re-wrote the
> > Local Bankruptcy Rules and created a Court Manual. The CDCBAA put pon a
> > GREAT program in January 2009 explaining the changes in the Rules. When I
> > was a younger bk lawyer, if I didn't understand how to file or obtain a
> > hearing date, I READ the Local Rules or perhaps asked my secretary or a more
> > seasoned lawyer. If you want to make some enemies, call the judges clerk and
> > ask them how to do something that's clearly in the local rules. As to filing
> > dates and emergency motions, if you go to the website/information/judges
> > name, each judge has set up self-calendaring procedures and procedures for
> > emergency motions, etc.
> >
> > This is not "ROCKET SURGERY" (and yes, I know exactly what I wrote). Read
> > the rules, do your homework or find a mentor - but leave the clerks of the
> > court alone. They are underpaid/overworked, very nice people who don't need
> > to be harassed by lawyers too lazy to do their job. Sorry if this is a
> > little strong worked, but after doing this for over 25 years, during a time
> > when there was NO internet and everything was hand filed, with extra copies
> > that had to be tabbed and blue-backed, I think the attorneys working in the
> > bankruptcy community today have it incredibly EASY.
> >
> >
> > Andrew Goodman
> > GOODMAN FAITH
> > 21650 Oxnard Street, Suite 500
> >
> > Woodland Hills, CA. 91367
> >
> > 818-827-9250
> >
> > 818-932-3684-fax
> >
> > agoodman@...
> >
> > ------------------------------
> > *From:* Jacob Chang
> > *To:* cdcbaa@yahoogroups.com
> >
> > *Sent:* Tue, March 2, 2010 3:00:13 PM
> > *Subject:* Re: [cdcbaa] Questions for the Clerks March 20 Meeting
> >
> >
> >
> > Great points all around, Christine!
> >
> > As much as I've looked, though I could have easily missed something, I
> > haven't been able to find the step-by-step action guide for bankruptcy
> > practice, especially within the context of a motion or AP practice. It
> > seems these are trade secrets passed down from mentor to mentee.
> >
> > If there is something like this, please point us in the right direction.
> >
> > Jacob D. Chang, Esq.
> > Law Offices of Jacob D. Chang
> > 1600 Wilshire Boulevard, Third Floor
> > Los Angeles, CA 90017
> > Tel: (213) 252-4440
> > Fax: (213) 738-1116
> > Email: jacobchang.esq@ gmail.com
> >
> > Please kindly consider the environment before printing this e-mail.
> >
> > Note: This electronic mail is intended to be received and read only by
> > certain individuals. It may contain information that is attorney-client
> > privileged or protected from disclosure by law. If it has been misdirected,
> > or if you suspect you have received this in error, please notify me by
> > replying and then delete both the message and reply. Thank you.
> >
> >
> >
> > On Tue, Mar 2, 2010 at 8:02 AM, Christine Wilton > gmail.com > wrote:
> >
> >>
> >>
> >> Hello Esteemed Board and Colleagues:
> >>
> >> I would like to pose the following questions to our upcoming panel of
> >> Clerks:
> >>
> >> 1. Step by step Motions; from filing, calendaring, serving notice, etc.
> >> Please cite the rules and where I can find the answers and in what order
> >> these steps should be accomplished. [just a handout is all I need really]
> >>
> >> 2. Is there some Clerk's Outline? Can we get an inside look at the
> >> Clerk's training manual?
> >>
> >> 3. Can we have a Clerk's Hotline for our generally basic questions before
> >> we attempt tasks on our own?
> >>
> >> 4. Can I volunteer to be a clerk for a day and follow them around? Kind
> >> of like a ride-along with a cop.
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >> --
> >> Christine A. Wilton
> >> Principal Attorney
> >> Greifendorff Law Offices
> >> 4067 Hardwick Street, #319
> >> Lakewood, CA 90712
> >> Toll Free: 877-207-6013
> >> Cell: 562-824-7563
> >> Fax: 562-804-4028
> >> Email: attorneychristine@ gmail.com
> >> Web: www.greifenlaw. com
> >> Blog: www.losangelesbankr uptcylawmonitor. com
> >>
> >> ************ ********* ******
> >> This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are private and confidential
> >> and are solely for the use of the addressee. It may contain material which
> >> is legally privileged. If you are not the addressee or the person
> >> responsible for delivering to the addressee, be advised that you have
> >> received this e-mail in error and that any use of it is strictly prohibited.
> >>
> >
> >
> >
> >
>

Yahoo Bot

Andrew,
Despite the general tone of your email, you offer several helpful
suggestions, so thank you for that.
IMO, I'm sure almost all questions can probably be answered through
independent research. Sometimes, though it's nice to be able to ask a
question to the group and get a substantive response. Isn't that one of the
purposes of this listserv? This reminds me of a joke, something to the
effect of "everyone that drives slower than me are idiots and everyone that
drives faster is a crazy nut."
Maybe there needs to be a separate listserv for newbies and advanced
practitioners. In the meantime, though, how about you filter to trash
emails that contain "newbie" in the subject heading as well as emails from
known newbies? That way, you may be able to avoid getting upset on a Sunday
morning and avoid the risk of offending us newbies by calling us
opportunistic and lazy.
Jacob D. Chang, Esq.
Los Angeles, CA 90017
Email: jacobchang.esq@gmail.com
Note: This electronic mail is intended to be received and read only by
certain individuals. It may contain information that is attorney-client
privileged or protected from disclosure by law. If it has been misdirected,
or if you suspect you have received this in error, please notify me by
replying and then delete both the message and reply. Thank you.
On Sat, Mar 6, 2010 at 3:12 PM, Andrew Goodman wrote:
>
>
> With all due respect, the clerks have so much work to do and so many
> pleadings to process they really have NO time to mentor or teach young or
> lazy (no offense) lawyers who are either new to bankruptcy, want to become
> bankruptcy lawyers because of the "nature of the times". The court with the
> assistance of the Bar went through more than a year ago and re-wrote the
> Local Bankruptcy Rules and created a Court Manual. The CDCBAA put pon a
> GREAT program in January 2009 explaining the changes in the Rules. When I
> was a younger bk lawyer, if I didn't understand how to file or obtain a
> hearing date, I READ the Local Rules or perhaps asked my secretary or a more
> seasoned lawyer. If you want to make some enemies, call the judges clerk and
> ask them how to do something that's clearly in the local rules. As to filing
> dates and emergency motions, if you go to the website/information/judges
> name, each judge has set up self-calendaring procedures and procedures for
> emergency motions, etc.
>
> This is not "ROCKET SURGERY" (and yes, I know exactly what I wrote). Read
> the rules, do your homework or find a mentor - but leave the clerks of the
> court alone. They are underpaid/overworked, very nice people who don't need
> to be harassed by lawyers too lazy to do their job. Sorry if this is a
> little strong worked, but after doing this for over 25 years, during a time
> when there was NO internet and everything was hand filed, with extra copies
> that had to be tabbed and blue-backed, I think the attorneys working in the
> bankruptcy community today have it incredibly EASY.
>
>
> Andrew Goodman
> GOODMAN FAITH
> 21650 Oxnard Street, Suite 500
>
> Woodland Hills, CA. 91367
>
> 818-827-9250
>
> 818-932-3684-fax
>
> agoodman@goodmanfaith.com
>
> ------------------------------
> *From:* Jacob Chang
> *To:* cdcbaa@yahoogroups.com
>
> *Sent:* Tue, March 2, 2010 3:00:13 PM
> *Subject:* Re: [cdcbaa] Questions for the Clerks March 20 Meeting
>
>
>
> Great points all around, Christine!
>
> As much as I've looked, though I could have easily missed something, I
> haven't been able to find the step-by-step action guide for bankruptcy
> practice, especially within the context of a motion or AP practice. It
> seems these are trade secrets passed down from mentor to mentee.
>
> If there is something like this, please point us in the right direction.
>
> Jacob D. Chang, Esq.
> Law Offices of Jacob D. Chang
> 1600 Wilshire Boulevard, Third Floor
> Los Angeles, CA 90017
> Tel: (213) 252-4440
> Fax: (213) 738-1116
> Email: jacobchang.esq@ gmail.com
>
> Please kindly consider the environment before printing this e-mail.
>
> Note: This electronic mail is intended to be received and read only by
> certain individuals. It may contain information that is attorney-client
> privileged or protected from disclosure by law. If it has been misdirected,
> or if you suspect you have received this in error, please notify me by
> replying and then delete both the message and reply. Thank you.
>
>
>
> On Tue, Mar 2, 2010 at 8:02 AM, Christine Wilton gmail.com > wrote:
>
>>
>>
>> Hello Esteemed Board and Colleagues:
>>
>> I would like to pose the following questions to our upcoming panel of
>> Clerks:
>>
>> 1. Step by step Motions; from filing, calendaring, serving notice, etc.
>> Please cite the rules and where I can find the answers and in what order
>> these steps should be accomplished. [just a handout is all I need really]
>>
>> 2. Is there some Clerk's Outline? Can we get an inside look at the
>> Clerk's training manual?
>>
>> 3. Can we have a Clerk's Hotline for our generally basic questions before
>> we attempt tasks on our own?
>>
>> 4. Can I volunteer to be a clerk for a day and follow them around? Kind
>> of like a ride-along with a cop.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> --
>> Christine A. Wilton
>> Principal Attorney
>> Greifendorff Law Offices
>> 4067 Hardwick Street, #319
>> Lakewood, CA 90712
>> Toll Free: 877-207-6013
>> Cell: 562-824-7563
>> Fax: 562-804-4028
>> Email: attorneychristine@ gmail.com
>> Web: www.greifenlaw. com
>> Blog: www.losangelesbankr uptcylawmonitor. com
>>
>> ************ ********* ******
>> This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are private and confidential
>> and are solely for the use of the addressee. It may contain material which
>> is legally privileged. If you are not the addressee or the person
>> responsible for delivering to the addressee, be advised that you have
>> received this e-mail in error and that any use of it is strictly prohibited.
>>
>
>
>
>
Andrew,Despite the general tone of your email, you offer several helpful suggestions, so thank you for that. IMO, I'm sure almost all questions can probably be answered through independent research. Sometimes, though it's nice to be able to ask a question to the group and get a substantive response. Isn't that one of the purposes of this listserv? This reminds me of a joke, something to the effect of "everyone that drives slower than me are idiots and everyone that drives faster is a crazy nut."
Jacob D. Chang, Esq.Law Offices of Jacob D. Chang1600 Wilshire Boulevard, Third FloorLos Angeles, CA 90017Tel: (213) 252-4440Fax: (213) 738-1116Email: jacobchang.esq@gmail.com
Please kindly consider the environment before printing this e-mail. Note: This electronic mail is intended to be received and read only by certain individuals. It may contain information that is attorney-client privileged or protected from disclosure by law. If it has been misdirected, or if you suspect you have received this in error, please notify me by replying and then delete both the message and reply. Thank you.
On Sat, Mar 6, 2010 at 3:12 PM, Andrew Goodman <andyg1207@yahoo.com> wrote:
With all due respect, the clerks have so much work to do and so many pleadings to process they really have NO time to mentor or teach young or lazy (no offense) lawyers who are eithernew to bankruptcy, want to become bankruptcy lawyers because of the "nature of the times".The court with the assistance of theBar went through more than a year ago and re-wrote the Local Bankruptcy Rules and created a CourtManual. The CDCBAA put pon a GREAT programin January 2009 explaining the changes in the Rules. When I was a younger bk lawyer, if I didn'tunderstand how to file or obtain a hearing date, IREAD the Local Rulesor perhaps asked my secretary or a more seasoned lawyer.If you want to make some enemies, call thejudges clerk and askthem how todosomething that's clearly in the local rules. As to filing dates and emergency motions, if you go to the website/information/judges name,
eachjudge has set up self-calendaring procedures and procedures for emergency motions, etc.
This is not "ROCKET SURGERY" (and yes, I knowexactly what I wrote). Read the rules, do your homework or find a mentor - but leave the clerks of the court alone. They are underpaid/overworked, very nice peoplewho don'tneed to be harassed by lawyerstoo lazy to do their job.Sorry if this is a little strong worked, but after doing this for over 25 years, during a time when there was NO internet and everything was hand filed, with extra copies that had to be tabbed and blue-backed, I think the attorneys working in the bankruptcy community today have it incredibly EASY.
818-827-9250
818-932-3684-fax
agoodman@goodmanfaith.com
Yahoo Bot

With all due respect, the clerks have so much work to do and so many pleadings to process they really have NO time to mentor or teach young or lazy (no offense) lawyers who are eithernew to bankruptcy, want to become bankruptcy lawyers because of the "nature of the times".The court with the assistance of theBar went through more than a year ago and re-wrote the Local Bankruptcy Rules and created a CourtManual. The CDCBAA put pon a GREAT programin January 2009 explaining the changes in the Rules. When I was a younger bk lawyer, if I didn'tunderstand how to file or obtain a hearing date, IREAD the Local Rulesor perhaps asked my secretary or a more seasoned lawyer.If you want to make some enemies, call thejudges clerk and askthem how todosomething that's clearly in the local rules. As to filing dates and emergency motions, if you go to the website/information/judges name, eachjudge has set up self-calendaring procedures and
procedures for emergency motions, etc.
This is not "ROCKET SURGERY" (and yes, I knowexactly what I wrote). Read the rules, do your homework or find a mentor - but leave the clerks of the court alone. They are underpaid/overworked, very nice peoplewho don'tneed to be harassed by lawyerstoo lazy to do their job.5 years, during a time when there was NO internet and everything was hand filed, with extra copies that had to be tabbed and blue-backed, I think the attorneys working in the bankruptcy community today have it incredibly EASY.
Andrew Goodman
GOODMAN FAITH
21650 Oxnard Street, Suite 500
818-827-9250
818-932-3684-fax
Sent: Tue, March 2, 2010 3:00:13 PM
Subject: Re: [cdcbaa] Questions for the Clerks March 20 Meeting
As much as I've looked, though I could have easily missed something, I haven't been able to find the step-by-step action guide for bankruptcy practice, especially within the context of a motion or AP practice. It seems these are trade secrets passed down from mentor to mentee.
If there is something like this, please point us in the right direction.
Jacob D. Chang, Esq.
Los Angeles, CA 90017
Email: jacobchang.esq@ gmail.com
Note: This electronic mail is intended to be received and read only by certain individuals. It may contain information that is attorney-client privileged or protected from disclosure by law. If it has been misdirected, or if you suspect you have received this in error, please notify me by replying and then delete both the message and reply. Thank you.
On Tue, Mar 2, 2010 at 8:02 AM, Christine Wilton wrote:
>Hello Esteemed Board and Colleagues:
>
>I would like to pose the following questions to our upcoming panel of Clerks:
>
>1. Step by step Motions; from filing, calendaring, serving notice, etc. Please cite the rules and where I can find the answers and in what order these steps should be accomplished. [just a handout is all I need really]
>
>2. Is there some Clerk's Outline? Can we get an inside look at the Clerk's training manual?
>
>3. Can we have a Clerk's Hotline for our generally basic questions before we attempt tasks on our own?
>
>4. Can I volunteer to be a clerk for a day and follow them around?>
>Thanks,
>--
>Christine A. Wilton
>Principal Attorney
>Greifendorff Law Offices
>4067 Hardwick Street, #319
>Lakewood, CA 90712
>Toll Free: 877-207-6013
>Cell: 562-824-7563
>Fax: 562-804-4028
>Email: attorneychristine@ gmail.com
>Web: www.greifenlaw. com
>Blog: www.losangelesbankr uptcylawmonitor. com
>************ ********* ******
>This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are private and confidential and are solely for the use of the addressee. It may contain material which is legally privileged. If you are not the addressee or the person responsible for delivering to the addressee, be advised that you have received this e-mail in error and that any use of it is strictly prohibited.
>
With all due respect, the clerks have so much work to do and so many pleadings to process they really have NO time to mentor or teach young or lazy (no offense) lawyers who are either new to bankruptcy, want to become bankruptcy lawyers because of the "nature of the times". The court with the assistance of the Bar went through more than a year ago and re-wrote the Local Bankruptcy Rules and created a Court Manual. The CDCBAA put pon a GREAT program in January 2009 explaining the changes in the Rules. When I was a younger bk lawyer, if I didn't understand how to file or obtain a hearing date, I READ the Local Rules or perhaps asked my secretary or a more seasoned lawyer. If you want to make some enemies, call the judges clerk and ask them how to do something that's clearly in the local rules. As to filing dates and emergency motions, if you go to the website/information/judges name,
each judge has set up self-calendaring procedures and procedures for emergency motions, etc.

This is not "ROCKET SURGERY" (and yes, I know exactly what I wrote). Read the rules, do your homework or find a mentor - but leave the clerks of the court alone. They are underpaid/overworked, very nice people who don't need to be harassed by lawyers too lazy to do their job. Sorry if this is a little strong worked, but after doing this for over 25 years, during a time when there was NO internet and everything was hand filed, with extra copies that had to be tabbed and blue-backed, I think the attorneys working in the bankruptcy community today have it incredibly EASY.
818-827-9250
818-932-3684-fax
From: Jacob Chang <jacobchang.esq@gmail.com>To: cdcbaa@yahoogroups.comSent: Tue, March 2, 2010 3:00:13 PMSubject: Re: [cdcbaa] Questions for the Clerks March 20 Meeting
Great points all around, Christine!As much as I've looked, though I could have easily missed something, I haven't been able to find the step-by-step action guide for bankruptcy practice, especially within the context of a motion or AP practice. It seems these are trade secrets passed down from mentor to mentee.If there is something like this, please point us in the right direction. Jacob D. Chang, Esq.Law Offices of Jacob D. Chang1600 Wilshire Boulevard, Third FloorLos Angeles, CA 90017Tel: (213) 252-4440Fax: (213) 738-1116Email: jacobchang.esq@ gmail.comPlease kindly consider the environment before printing this e-mail.Note: This electronic mail is intended to be received and read only by certain individuals. It may contain information that is
attorney-client privileged or protected from disclosure by law. If it has been misdirected, or if you suspect you have received this in error, please notify me by replying and then delete both the message and reply. Thank you.
On Tue, Mar 2, 2010 at 8:02 AM, Christine Wilton <attorneychristine@ gmail.com> wrote:

1. Step by step Motions; from filing, calendaring, serving notice, etc. Please cite the rules and where I can find the answers and in what order these steps should be accomplished. [just a handout is all I need really]

2. Is there some Clerk's Outline? Can we get an inside look at the Clerk's training manual?

3. Can we have a Clerk's Hotline for our generally basic questions before we attempt tasks on our own?

4. Can I volunteer to be a clerk for a day and follow them around? Kind of like a ride-along with a cop.

Thanks,-- Christine A. WiltonPrincipal AttorneyGreifendorff Law Offices4067 Hardwick Street, #319Lakewood, CA 90712Toll Free: 877-207-6013Cell: 562-824-7563Fax: 562-804-4028Email: attorneychristine@ gmail.comWeb: www.greifenlaw. comBlog: www.losangelesbankr uptcylawmonitor. com************ ********* ******This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are private and confidential and are solely for the use of the addressee. It may contain material which is legally privileged. If you are not the addressee or the person responsible for delivering
to the addressee, be advised that you have received this e-mail in error and that any use of it is strictly prohibited.

Yahoo Bot

As much as I've looked, though I could have easily missed something, I
haven't been able to find the step-by-step action guide for bankruptcy
practice, especially within the context of a motion or AP practice. It
seems these are trade secrets passed down from mentor to mentee.
If there is something like this, please point us in the right direction.
Jacob D. Chang, Esq.
Los Angeles, CA 90017
Email: jacobchang.esq@gmail.com
Note: This electronic mail is intended to be received and read only by
certain individuals. It may contain information that is attorney-client
privileged or protected from disclosure by law. If it has been misdirected,
or if you suspect you have received this in error, please notify me by
replying and then delete both the message and reply. Thank you.
On Tue, Mar 2, 2010 at 8:02 AM, Christine Wilton wrote:
>
>
> Hello Esteemed Board and Colleagues:
>
> I would like to pose the following questions to our upcoming panel of
> Clerks:
>
> 1. Step by step Motions; from filing, calendaring, serving notice, etc.
> Please cite the rules and where I can find the answers and in what order
> these steps should be accomplished. [just a handout is all I need really]
>
> 2. Is there some Clerk's Outline? Can we get an inside look at the
> Clerk's training manual?
>
> 3. Can we have a Clerk's Hotline for our generally basic questions before
> we attempt tasks on our own?
>
> 4. Can I volunteer to be a clerk for a day and follow them around? Kind
> of like a ride-along with a cop.
>
> Thanks,
> --
> Christine A. Wilton
> Principal Attorney
> Greifendorff Law Offices
> 4067 Hardwick Street, #319
> Lakewood, CA 90712
> Toll Free: 877-207-6013
> Cell: 562-824-7563
> Fax: 562-804-4028
> Email: attorneychristine@gmail.com
> Web: www.greifenlaw.com
> Blog: www.losangelesbankruptcylawmonitor.com
> ***************************
> This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are private and confidential
> and are solely for the use of the addressee. It may contain material which
> is legally privileged. If you are not the addressee or the person
> responsible for delivering to the addressee, be advised that you have
> received this e-mail in error and that any use of it is strictly prohibited.
>
>
Great points all around, Christine!As much as I've looked, though I could have easily missed something, I haven't been able to find the step-by-step action guide for bankruptcy practice, especially within the context of a motion or AP practice. It seems these are trade secrets passed down from mentor to mentee.
If there is something like this, please point us in the right direction. Jacob D. Chang, Esq.Law Offices of Jacob D. Chang1600 Wilshire Boulevard, Third FloorLos Angeles, CA 90017
Fax: (213) 738-1116Email: jacobchang.esq@gmail.comPlease kindly consider the environment before printing this e-mail. Note: This electronic mail is intended to be received and read only by certain individuals. It may contain information that is attorney-client privileged or protected from disclosure by law. If it has been misdirected, or if you suspect you have received this in error, please notify me by replying and then delete both the message and reply. Thank you.
On Tue, Mar 2, 2010 at 8:02 AM, Christine Wilton <attorneychristine@gmail.com> wrote:
Yahoo Bot

I would like to pose the following questions to our upcoming panel of
Clerks:
1. Step by step Motions; from filing, calendaring, serving notice, etc.
Please cite the rules and where I can find the answers and in what order
these steps should be accomplished. [just a handout is all I need really]
2. Is there some Clerk's Outline? Can we get an inside look at the Clerk's
training manual?
3. Can we have a Clerk's Hotline for our generally basic questions before
we attempt tasks on our own?
4. Can I volunteer to be a clerk for a day and follow them around? Kind of
like a ride-along with a cop.
Thanks,
Christine A. Wilton
Principal Attorney
Greifendorff Law Offices
4067 Hardwick Street, #319
Lakewood, CA 90712
Toll Free: 877-207-6013
Cell: 562-824-7563
Fax: 562-804-4028
Email: attorneychristine@gmail.com
Web: www.greifenlaw.com
Blog: www.losangelesbankruptcylawmonitor.com
This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are private and confidential
and are solely for the use of the addressee. It may contain material which
is legally privileged. If you are not the addressee or the person
responsible for delivering to the addressee, be advised that you have
received this e-mail in error and that any use of it is strictly prohibited.
4. Can I volunteer to be a clerk for a day and follow them around?
Thanks,-- Christine A. WiltonPrincipal AttorneyGreifendorff Law Offices4067 Hardwick Street, #319Lakewood, CA 90712Toll Free: 877-207-6013Cell: 562-824-7563Fax: Email: attorneychristine@gmail.comWeb: www.greifenlaw.comBlog: www.losangelesbankruptcylawmonitor.com
***************************This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are private and confidential and are solely for the use of the addressee. It may contain material which is legally privileged. If you are not the addressee or the person responsible for delivering to the addressee, be advised that you have received this e-mail in error and that any use of it is strictly prohibited.