For those of you attending the NACBA convention ...

Yahoo Bot

charsetndows-1252
A few years ago I wrote an article that introduced the term "hallway magic" to NACBA. I'm reprinting the relevant portions below.
5 Tips To Maximize Your NACBA Convention Experience
Why go to a NACBA convention? You can get the sessions on tape, pick up the materials and generally get the meat of all of the sessions. But is that the real reason you go to these things?
This coming weeked in San Diego the National Association of Consumer Bankruptcy Attorneys will be holding their annual convention. Theres a good chance that youll be there if youre a consumer bankruptcy attorney.
Im excited to go to the convention this year, as I am each year, but here's a little secret.
The real reason I go to the NACBA convention is what goes on outside of the sessions.
Recently I listened to an episode of Media Hacks where this was called (by CC Chapman, I think), Hallway Magic.
Think about it for a minute. You travel across the country to go to a high-priced location, leaving your business and your family for a beautiful springtime weekend. You spend a ton of money on the convention, airfare, food, hotel and what-not.
The hallways are where the action is. Its where we bump into one another, catch up, shake hands, and connect in real life. We trade war stories, share tips for handling difficult situations, and gain guidance on a bunch of different levels. You realize youre not alone in what you do.
You cant get that out of a book, and you cant even get it online. You need that real-time interaction, that connection with your colleagues. So here are my 5 tips on making the most of the NACBA convention.
Dress For Comfort. Little known fact for NACBA newbies is that we dont dress to impress we dress for comfort. Some of us wear loud Hawaiian shirts (a certain Detroit bankruptcy lawyer) or shorts. As for me, Ive been forced to retire my faded Napster t-shirt. If you put on a suit for any part of the weekend we will think youre from the federal government and are looking for people to randomly audit.
State Breakfast. Saturday morning will be a breakfast held to bring the members in each state together. Tables are set up with placards showing your state name, and your colleagues will be there to chat. Be there. Introduce yourself. Sit down and make some local friends you never know when youre going to need coverage in court, or be in a position to help a colleague with a last-minute problem.
Pick A Good Table. Every year its the same thing. People show up, dump their stuff at a chair, and then disappear. Dont do that. Pick a table and introduce yourself to the rest of the people there. Ask them where they practice, what kind of bankruptcy work they do, and learn about them. We all do the same thing, so why not take the time to learn about how others get their work done?
Stop And Say Hello. If you see someone you recognize, stop them and say hi. Bankruptcy lawyers are some of the friendliest people Ive ever met, and none of them has such a big ego as to require you to bow and kiss their ring. We all want to help one another, and theres no better way to form a connection than to show your face.
Hit the Hotel Bar At Night. Even if you dont drink, there are always groups of us hanging out in the hotel bar during the evenings after dinner. Find an empty seat, introduce yourself and join the fun.
The bottom line is this the real reason to be at the NACBA convention is what you learn from people in the trenches just like you. We all face the same problems, but operate largely in our own little worlds. Getting together and making a connection are the best ways to ensure your continued success as a consumer bankruptcy lawyer.
Link to the original article:

The post was migrated from Yahoo.